Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Syria most dangerous place for health workers: WHO

27 May 2016, 07:59

Geneva - Syria was the most dangerous place for health care workers to operate last year, ahead of other conflict zones like the Palestinian territories and Yemen, the World Health Organisation said on Thursday.

For the first time, the UN health agency provided comprehensive statistics on attacks on health care facilities and other violence directed at health workers in major conflict areas over the past two years.

The findings were bleak: nearly 600 attacks directed at medical structures, personnel and ambulances were carried out across the 19 countries and territories included in the study in 2014 and 2015.

Almost 1 000 people, including health workers, patients and bystanders, were killed, the WHO report said.

"One of the most concerning findings is that two thirds [of the attacks] have been deliberate," Rick Brennan, WHO's chief of emergency risk management, told reporters.

Assaults intentionally targeting health care facilities, health workers, the sick and injured "represent gross violations of international humanitarian law," he said. "If proven [they] can be considered war crimes."

WHO chief Margaret Chan denounced the violence against people simply trying to save lives often in horrific circumstances.

"We need those facilities and we need those valuable human resources to help people from both sides," she told delegates attending WHO's main annual assembly this week.

'Slaughtered in their beds' 

Syria, ravaged by a devastating five-year conflict, in 2015 counted 135 attacks on health facilities and workers, resulting in 173 deaths.

That is more than half of the 256 attacks registered across 19 conflict areas last year, which together left 434 people dead.

Joanna Liu, head of medical charity Doctors Without Borders, warned that "the act of providing healthcare itself is under attack".

"From Yemen to Syria, from Central African Republic to Niger, health facilities are looted, burned and bombed," she told the WHO gathering.

"Patients are slaughtered in their beds. Health workers are abducted, assaulted and killed."

She said that last year alone, 75 hospitals managed or supported by the charity, which goes by its French acronym MSF, were attacked.

"Medicine should not be a deadly occupation," she said.

Other areas that are particularly dangerous for health workers include the Palestinian territories, where there were 34 attacks in 2015 that killed three people, Pakistan, with 16 attacks resulting in 45 deaths and Libya with 14 attacks that left 39 dead.

War-torn Yemen and Iraq also figured high on the list.

The WHO report said that 2014 was even deadlier on a global scale, with 525 people killed in 338 attacks.

Statistics for 2016 were not available, Brennan said, although he warned that the trend was continuing, with numerous attacks so far this year, including on hospitals in Syria.



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...