MSF condemns attack on Aleppo hospital
28 April 2016, 19:57
Aleppo - Doctors Without Borders on Thursday condemned the "outrageous" air strike on a hospital it was supporting in the war-torn northern Syrian city of Aleppo, where doctors were among those killed.
Local rescue workers said the overnight strike on the al-Quds hospital and a nearby residential building left 30 people dead.
Among them was the only paediatrician operating in the rebel-controlled eastern parts of Aleppo city, they said.
Doctors Without Borders, which is also known by the acronym MSF, said two doctors were among 14 people killed in the strike on the hospital.
"MSF categorically condemns this outrageous targeting of yet another medical facility in Syria," said in a statement Muskilda Zancada, the medical charity's head of mission in Syria.
"This devastating attack has destroyed a vital hospital in Aleppo, and the main referral centre for paediatric care in the area. Where is the outrage among those with the power and obligation to stop this carnage?"
MSF said it had been donating medical supplies since 2012 to the 34-bed Al-Quds hospital, where eight doctors and 28 nurses worked full time.
Rescue workers on Thursday said 10 of the bodies they had recovered from the hospital and nearby building were unrecognisable.
Nearly 200 civilians have been killed in the battered northern city of Aleppo in the past week as rebels have pounded government-held neighbourhoods with rocket and artillery and the regime has hit rebel areas with air raids.