Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mom says she solicited men to sexually assault daughter, 10

15 September 2016, 15:31

Albuquerque — The mother of a 10-year-old New Mexico girl who was found dead and dismembered told police she looked for men online and at work to sexually assault her daughter, according to search warrants in the case.

The documents showed Michelle Martens told police that she had set up encounters with at least three men before the girl was drugged, raped and killed last month.

The single mother told investigators she didn't set up the sexual assaults for the money but did it because she enjoyed watching, according to the warrants. It's unclear how long she had been arranging meetings before Victoria Martens' death or if police have identified any of those men.

Police found the girl's dismembered body inside the apartment she shared with her mother on the day she was expected to celebrate her 10th birthday. The slaying ignited outcry and vigils.

Laura Bobbs, a local minister and spokeswoman for the family, cried when she learned about the details outlined in the search warrants.

"Jesus Christ. My poor baby, my poor baby," she exclaimed, referring to Victoria. "She never told us this was going on. I would ask her all the time, 'Are you OK?' She would tell me yes."

How did she hide it?

Bobbs reiterated on Wednesday that there were no indications from Michelle Martens or the girl that anything was wrong.

"I would see this woman every day. There were no signs. How did she hide this from us?" she said. "This thing gets worse and worse and worse."

Michelle Martens, Fabian Gonzales and Jessica Kelley — a cousin of Gonzales's — have been charged with first-degree murder and aggravated criminal sex penetration of a child under 13. Victoria was stabbed and strangled.

Martens' attorney, Mark Earnest, did not immediately return a telephone message from The Associated Press.

Martens, 35, told investigators that one of the men she solicited was a co-worker. Two others she met online, including Gonzales, 31. He was to be the last.

Martens told police she used the dating website Plenty of Fish to look for men to sexually assault Victoria.

Her statement to police is included in nearly a dozen search warrants to search a safe in Martens' apartment, her car, and electronic devices discovered during the investigation, including a camcorder they believed may have been used for the sexual exploitation of children.

Investigators also sought DNA evidence from the suspects, as well as multiple electronic devices and the camcorder.

The Albuquerque Journal was first to report on the warrants late Tuesday.

- AP


Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Kikuyu 2022 vote will go to Peter...

The 2022 Kikuyu vote will go to Peter Kenneth, a Rift Valley Governor has warned DP William Ruto. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD threatens to boycott 2017 po...

The CORD Coalition says that it will be forced to boycott the 2017 elections if there is no new voter register in place by the time. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Disgraced Jeptoo stripped of 2014...

Organizers of the Boston Marathon are stripping Kenyan runner Rita Jeptoo of her 2014 victory as part of the athlete's newly extended doping ban. Read more...