Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mass shooting at a holiday party leaves 14 dead

03 December 2015, 08:47

San Bernardino, United States -At least 14 people were killed in a gun attack on a holiday party in California on Wednesday, triggering a massive manhunt that ended when police shot dead two heavily armed suspects -- a man and a woman -- on a quiet residential street.

San Bernardino police said a possible third suspect had been detained over the shooting, which took place at a social services building about an hour's drive east of Los Angeles.

The worst mass shooting to hit the United States in three years, the massacre drew an angry response from President Barack Obama, who once again urged Congress to pass tougher gun control measures to stem the spiral of violence.

The attackers were dressed in military-style gear and carried assault weapons as they burst into the auditorium where the bloodbath took place, lent out for the holiday party by the Inland Regional Center.

Beyond the 14 dead, the shooting left at least 17 people wounded, including 10 in critical condition. No details have yet been released on the victims' identities, although police said they were not thought to include any children.

David Bowdich, assistant director of the FBI's Los Angeles office, said authorities were not ruling out terrorism.

"I'm still not willing to say we know that for sure," he told reporters.

Police chief Jarrod Burguan said authorities were looking at reports the shooting might be linked to a disgruntled employee taking part in the party.

"There was some type of dispute or something when somebody left the party, but we have no idea if those are the people that came back," Burguan said.

FBI agents in the early evening raided an apartment complex in the nearby town of Redlands, where the suspects were seen before the police chase that ended in a shootout a few miles from the Inland Center.

Several US media identified one of the suspects as Syed Farook, who lived in the apartment complex.

Public records show that a man bearing the same name worked as an environmental health specialist for San Bernardino County.

The California chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations denounced the killings as Farook's brother-in-law, Farhan Khan, prepared to speak at a press conference later in the evening.

Deadliest since Sandy Hook

It was the country's deadliest shooting since December 14, 2012, when a young man killed 26 people, including 20 children, at Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut.

Burguan told reporters the attackers "came prepared to do what they did, as if they were on a mission."

Investigators were looking at the possibility that the suspects had left behind an explosive device, Burguan said.

As darkness fell on the area, buses transporting people evacuated from the shooting site continued to arrive at the Hernandez Community Center where families and friends awaited news of their loved ones.

Witnesses recounted barricading themselves in offices and hiding as the sound of gunfire erupted.

Mark Stutte said his daughter was attending the party organized by the county's public health department and called him terrified while hiding in a restroom as gunshots rang out in the background.

"It was really, really super scary," he told local TV, as he wept. "I'm far away. I couldn't do anything for her."

Lavinia Johnson, the center's executive director, said her staff hid inside the building that employs several hundred people and waited to be evacuated by police.

"It was a very traumatic event for us," she told CNN.

"It was an hour until I learned my daughter was OK," said Olivia Navarro, 63. "She was frightened when I spoke to her but she seemed calm."

'Stop gun violence'

Obama, who just last week made a plea for action on gun control after three people were killed at a family planning center in Colorado, voiced his anger once more.

"The one thing we do know is that we have a pattern now of mass shootings in this country that has no parallel anywhere else in the world," he told CBS News.

"There are some steps we could take, not to eliminate every one of these mass shootings, but to improve the odds that they don't happen as frequently."

The Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton tweeted: "I refuse to accept this as normal. We must take action to stop gun violence now."

Wednesday's shooting, which came less than a week after a gunman killed three people at a family planning center in Colorado, was certain to further stoke the bitter debate about gun control in the United States.

In October, a gunman killed nine people at a community college in Oregon before turning the gun on himself.

According to the site Mass Shooting Tracker, the latest attack brings to 352 the number of mass shootings in the United States so far this year. A mass shooting is defined as four or more people shot in one incident.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...