Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Hunt for missing Flight MH370 will be suspended, possibly forever

22 July 2016, 15:22

Putrajaya – The hunt for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 will be suspended once the current search area in the Indian Ocean has been completely scoured, the ministers of the three countries conducting the operation announced on Friday, possibly ending all hopes of solving aviation's greatest mystery.

"In the absence of new evidence, Malaysia, Australia and China have collectively decided to suspend the search upon completion of the 120 000km² search area," Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said after a meeting with his Australian and Chinese counterparts.

He said suspension of the search does not mean an end to it. "Should credible new information emerge which can be used to identify the specific location of the aircraft, consideration will be given in determining (the) next steps," he said, reading from a joint statement.

But it was clear that the searchers have given up hopes of finding the jetliner with less than 10 000km² left to be searched. In their statement, the ministers acknowledged that "the likelihood of finding the aircraft is fading".

As Liow and the other two ministers were addressing the news conference, representatives of the passengers' families stood outside the building holding placards. "Find the plane, ease our pain," read one placard.

The Boeing 777 vanished more than two years ago while on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014. It is believed to have turned back west and then south before dropping into the Indian Ocean west of Australia, where the search has been concentrated.

Search unlikely to resume

Liow said the current search is being hampered by bad weather and damaged equipment, but still it would end by December. Although the ministers were at pains to say the search has not ended, it is evident that it is highly unlikely to be resumed after December, given how few clues have emerged since the disappearance of the plane, except for some debris that has been found off East Africa thousands of kilometres away.

The search has so far cost AU$180m (about R1.9bn) – the most expensive in aviation history.

Representatives from Voice 370, a group representing family members of the plane's 239 passengers and crew, met with Australian officials in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday and urged the governments to suspend the search until new funds can be raised. They also called for a wider base of funding, including from Boeing and other plane and component manufacturers.

The three governments are involved because the airline was Malaysian, most of the passengers were Chinese, and the suspected crash site is off southwestern Australia.

There have been several theories surrounding the disappearance and the final hours of the flight, including that the plane glided into the water and didn't dive in, indicating a controlled ditching. "We do not have any evidence to confirm that it was controlled ditching," Liow said.

Drift modelling

He said the plane debris found so far "did not identify the exact location of the aircraft" but the location of the debris is consistent with the drift modelling pattern done by Australia, which indicated a general search area.

Western Australia University oceanographer Charitha Pattiaratchi, who has done extensive drift modelling, said the plane could have crashed slightly north of the current search area.

"The best guess that we think is that it's probably around the Broken Ridge region, which is slightly to the north of the area that they're looking at," Pattiaratchi said.

Drift modelling was not used to define the search area because no parts of Flight MH370 had been found before a wing flap washed up on La Reunion island off the African coast a year ago. The search area was determined by analysis of satellite signals that the plane emitted in its final hours.

But the Australian Transport Safety Bureau has previously said wreckage found on the southwestern shores of the Indian Ocean was consistent with the plane crashing in the expansive search area.

Pattiaratchi's modelling was based on how long the first piece of confirmed Flight MH370 wreckage took to reach La Reunion and his team's calculations of the effects of currents, wind and waves on drifting debris put the crash site just north of the current search area.

Australian Transport Minister Darren Chester said experts will continue to analyse data and inspect the debris. "Future searches must have a high level of success to justify raising hopes of loved ones," he said.

- AP


Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...