German minister rejects blanket suspicion of refugees after attacks
25 July 2016, 19:55
Berlin - Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere on Monday cautioned
Germans against indiscriminately branding all refugees a security threat after
a rash of attacks over the last week.
must not place refugees under general suspicion despite individual cases that
are under investigation," he said in an interview with the Funke media
group after a string of assaults in southern Germany, some involving
Angela Merkel's deputy spokesperson Ulrike Demmer later expressed the
government's "shock" after the rash of violence over the last week
but also warned against labelling all refugees.
of the terrorists who carried out attacks in recent months in Europe were not
refugees," she said.
fact corresponds with ongoing investigations indicating that the terror threat (among refugees) is not larger or
smaller than in the population at large."
said a man who set off a bomb late on Sunday near a music festival in the
southern town of Ansbach killing himself and wounding a dozen others, was
believed to be a 27-year-old Syrian refugee.
facing imminent deportation to Bulgaria, where he was first registered as an
asylum seeker, an interior ministry spokesman said.
officials had said a jihadist motive was "very likely" but a
spokesman for the federal interior ministry said there was as yet "no
credible evidence" of a link to Islamic extremism.
in the day, a Syrian refugee, 21, had killed a 45-year-old Polish woman with a knife
in the south-western city of Reutlingen in what police said was likely a
"crime of passion".
attacks came as Germany was already reeling from a shooting rampage in Munich on
Friday by an 18-year-old German-Iranian who killed nine people before turning
the gun on himself.
Monday, another teenager, wielding an axe and a knife, wounded four passengers
on a regional train, before injuring a passer-by as he fled police.
assailant, who was shot dead by authorities, was registered as an Afghan asylum
seeker but may have in fact been Pakistani.
no criminal record but authorities believe he may have been
"self-radicalised" and inspired by the Islamic State group, which
later claimed responsibility for the attack.