Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


German man goes on trial for double child murder

14 June 2016, 16:16

Berlin – A German security guard went on trial on Tuesday accused of murdering two children, one of them a four-year-old Bosnian boy snatched from a crowded migrant registration centre last year.

The trial of Silvio Schulz, 33, started under tight security in a court in Potsdam near Berlin after news of the killings shocked the country last year.

Schulz is accused of kidnapping the children – four-year-old Mohamed from Bosnia, and German boy Elias, aged six – in order to sexually abuse them, then killing them to avoid being identified and caught.

The hand-cuffed defendant wearing a hooded jumper covered his face with a paper folder when he entered the courtroom on Tuesday, as bereaved victims' relatives looked on.

He faces life in prison if found guilty.

Schulz was arrested in late October after his mother identified him from security camera images published by police.

Police said he admitted to abducting and abusing Mohamed before strangling him to death with a belt and also confessed to the murder of Elias.

Prosecutors say Schulz abducted Elias from a Potsdam playground in July 2015 before strangling to death the screaming child and burying his body in a rented garden plot.

In early October he kidnapped Mohamed from the crowded and chaotic area outside Berlin's Lageso registration centre for asylum seekers.

The Lageso office was overwhelmed by record numbers of migrants as Germany took in more than one million asylum seekers last year.

As migrant families slept outside Lageso in the dust, and frustrated refugees sometimes brawled as they waited for days for an appointment, parliamentary vice president Claudia Roth condemned the conditions there as "shocking and unworthy of a democratic society".


Tags germany

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...