Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


France National Assembly votes to extend state of emergency

20 July 2016, 19:17

Paris - France's National Assembly voted by a huge majority early on Wednesday for a proposed law that would extend the state of emergency for six months following last week's massacre in Nice.

The state of emergency has been in place since the Paris attacks in November, and the extension would see the measures - which give the police extra powers to carry out searches and place people under house arrest - remain in place until the end of January 2017.

After seven hours of at times tense debate, the parliament voted early on Wednesday morning in favour of the law - 489 to 26. It is the fourth time the state of emergency has been prolonged.

The National Assembly also voted to allow authorities to search luggage and vehicles without prior approval from a prosecutor.

The law now needs to pass through the Senate, which is set to vote on it on Wednesday afternoon.

President Francois Hollande last Thursday announced a plan to lift the emergency security measures but changed tack hours later after a truck driver ploughed through a crowd at Bastille Day celebrations in Nice, killing 84 people in an attack later claimed by the Islamic State group.

Hollande's Socialist government has been under heavy criticism from the right for its response to the slew of extremist attacks.

The fact the president was open to the six-month extension was seen as a concession to opposition Republicans who have demanded that the state of emergency be maintained through to the end of the year.

With elections due next year, the political unity seen after last year's attack on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo has evaporated.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve has defended the government, saying it has bolstered security notably by sending thousands of troops into the streets.

'Live with the threat'

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls warned on Tuesday that the country must be prepared for more deadly attacks and will have to "learn to live with the threat".

But the Socialists have also said they will draw the line at some of the opposition's more controversial demands.

Republicans leader and former president Nicolas Sarkozy, eyeing another run for the top job next year, has called for anyone showing signs of being radicalised to be forced to wear an electronic tag, placed under house arrest or kept in a detention centre.

While some on the right think the six-month extension is not sufficient, there are also critics on the left concerned about civil liberties who say even with the state of emergency in place an attack occurred.

"We can't lock people up on the basis of mere suspicion, or suspicion of suspicion," minister for parliamentary relations Jean-Marie Le Guen said on Tuesday.

Valls hit out at the Republicans number two, Laurent Wauquiez, after Wednesday morning's National Assembly vote.

"While this government is in place in France, there will be no detention of suspects for an indeterminate duration," he said.

Investigators say that 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, who used a 19-tonne truck to mow down revellers enjoying Bastille Day celebrations in Nice, had shown "recent interest" in jihadist activity.

Authorities found "very violent" photos on his computer, including of corpses, fighters posing with the IS flag and photos of Al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden.

However, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said there was no direct evidence of the Tunisian's links to the Islamic State group (IS) - which has claimed him as one of their "fighters."



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Advice from a young married Kenya...

I was just going to get water in the office kitchen and thought a simple hi was fine until I ended up in an hour long conversation with someone. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Helping you find the type of man ...

To put it simply, you can’t go looking for fish in a meat market; you have to go to a fish market. Read more...