Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Australia raids homes of 'doctor in Islamic State video': reports

29 January 2016, 12:32

Sydney - Police have raided two Melbourne homes in counter-terrorism operations, with reports Friday linking them to an Australian man who appeared in a slick Islamic State propaganda video last year.

The properties in the northern Melbourne suburbs of Craigieburn and Meadow Heights were raided on Thursday, the Australian Federal Police confirmed Friday without giving details of the "ongoing investigation".

They belonged to the former wives of Mohomed Unais Mohomed Ameen, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported, adding that he had appeared in a propaganda video promoting IS's "health service" in Syria.

The 41-year-old -- who was born in Sri Lanka according to the ABC -- had reportedly claimed to be working in physiotherapy at an IS-run hospital and appeared on screen beside another Australian, Tareq Kamleh, in the footage uploaded to YouTube in April.

The raids came as a 17-year-old boy, who was not named, on Friday pleaded guilty to preparing and planning a terrorist act last year.

Prosecutors alleged the teenager was in possession of a partially built pipe bomb when he was detained last year, with reports then linking him to a plan focused on Mother's Day celebrations, the ABC reported.

On Thursday, in a separate case, Melbourne court documents reportedly alleged that an Australian teenager facing terror charges discussed stuffing a kangaroo with explosives, painting it with the Islamic State group symbol and setting it loose on police.

The 19-year-old, Sevdet Besim, who on Thursday pleaded not guilty to four charges related to planning an attack last year, is due back in court next week.

The police operations are part of Australia's crackdown on nationals they fear are linked to home-grown extremism.

Canberra raised the terror threat alert level to high in September 2014, with the government passing a series of national security laws and police conducting numerous raids across the country.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto not affected by Peter Ken...

The DP is not affected by the move to join the Jubilee Party by Peter Kenneth. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
2017 countdown: Lots to ponder fo...

The battle for votes ahead of the 2017 elections has taken a mini stage in Kisii during a by-election that is set to show where exactly rivals CORD and Jubilee have peaked. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Close up your party, Jubilee MP t...

Close your party and join Jubilee fully, an MP has urged Peter Kenneth. Read more...