Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Aleppo bombers will have to 'answer before God' - pope

28 September 2016, 19:55

Vatican City - Pope Francis on Wednesday said those behind the bombing of Aleppo, where Syrian and Russian forces have conducted days of deadly airstrikes, will have to "answer before God".

"I appeal to the conscience of those responsible for the bombardment, who will have to answer before God," the pope said at his weekly address in St Peter's square, without naming Syria or Russia.

He spoke of his "deep pain and serious concern about the events" in Aleppo, where air strikes by Syrian and Russian forces on eastern rebel positions have sparked international condemnation.

The Pope referred to Aleppo as a "battered city where children, the elderly, the sick, the young, the old are dying and so many people".

He also repeated his call for "everyone to commit themselves with all their power to the protection of civilians," adding that this was "an imperative and urgent obligation".

The recent airstrikes have been some of the fiercest since the start of the five-year conflict in Syria.

They followed last week's collapse of a ceasefire deal brokered by Washington and Moscow.

The pope's comments come two days after the US accused Moscow of "barbarism" over the carnage in Aleppo, where France said on Tuesday that "war crimes" were being committed.

Around 140 people, nearly all civilians, have been killed in the Syrian and Russian raids since late Thursday.

The city is facing worsening food and medical shortages.

On Tuesday, the Syrian army took control of a rebel-held district in the centre of the city, its first advance since Damascus announced last week it would retake the whole of the divided city.



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...