Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Uproar as French jeweller gets charged

17 September 2013, 23:30

Paris - Outrage is growing in France over the decision to bring manslaughter charges against a jeweller who shot and killed an escaping robber, but the country's top security official on Tuesday urged fearful storekeepers to let justice take its course.

The 67-year-old jeweller, Stephan Turk, was confined at home with an electronic bracelet after the shooting last week that left a teenage robber dead in the street outside Turk's jewellery store in the French Riviera city of Nice.

An accomplice escaped on a motorbike.

In a country where gun violence is rare but thefts are increasingly common, the shooting has placed the government in a difficult position.

"Even when faced with the unbearable, we have to let justice prevail," Interior Minister Manuel Valls said on Tuesday in Nice, where he was sent by the president a day after a protest by hundreds of Turk's supporters.

Jewellers in southern France say they're being targeted as never before and lack the resources to protect themselves.

"It was a difficult situation. I don't know how I would have reacted myself. I don't endorse what he did, but he had been beaten and threatened with death," Yan Turk, the son of the jeweller, told the Nice Matin paper.

"We've had it with being targeted by robbers."

France has seen a spate of high-profile jewellery thefts lately.

A single gunman in the southern city of Cannes made off with a $136m cache this summer.

That was followed by another armed robbery days later in the same city. In Paris' wealthy Place Vendome on 9 September, thieves drove a sport utility vehicle into a jewellery store, grabbed €2m worth of loot, then set the vehicle on fire and escaped.

"The number of jewellery store robberies has been climbing for years. There's one robbery a day in France," Christine Boquet, president of the union of jewellers and watchmakers, told the Nice Matin.

"This creates enormous stress for the merchants. They live with this fear and insecurity every day."

Yet the sister of the 19-year-old who was killed says Turk shot him in the back and deserves prison.

"He shot a kid in the back. He's a traitor, he's a coward," said Alexandra Asli, the sister of Anthony Asli.

Asli, who was shot dead in the street outside the jewellery store, had been convicted 14 times in juvenile court, according to Eric Bedos, the Nice prosecutor.

Bedos defended his decision to bring preliminary charges on Friday against Turk, whose gun he said was not legal.

"After he was threatened, the jeweller grabbed his firearm, moved toward the metal shutters, crouched and fired three times.

He said he fired twice to immobilise the scooter and a third time he fired because he said he felt threatened," Bedos told the media.

"I'm convinced that he fired to kill his aggressor. When he fired, his life was no longer in danger," the prosecutor said.

- AP

Tags france

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...