Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


US must explain 'Cuban Twitter' - Costa Rica

24 April 2014, 19:44

San Jose - The Costa Rican government says it's still waiting for the Obama administration to explain why it launched the secret "Cuban Twitter" network from inside the Central American nation's borders despite warnings in 2009 that the plan could jeopardise the two countries' diplomatic relations.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Costa Rican Foreign Minister Enrique Castillo said efforts to affect other countries should not be carried out from inside Costa Rica.

He said his government had not received an answer to its question, which he said was delivered a day after the AP reported on 3 April that the US Agency for International Development funded the secret programme to stir political unrest in Communist-ruled Cuba.

"I think it's inappropriate to use an embassy in Costa Rica for this type of operation that harms a third country," Castillo said. "We're not filing a complaint. The point is that embassies accredited in Costa Rica don't have to submit their plans or programmes for the Costa Rican government's approval."

State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki said on Wednesday that Costa Rica sent a diplomatic note to the US Embassy in San Jose requesting an explanation after the AP story appeared.

"In the following days, Embassy staffers have reached out to their MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) counterparts on multiple occasions about the issue and those conversations have been ongoing."

Politically inconvenient

Hundreds of documents obtained by the AP show that the contractors hired to launch the social media network, known as ZunZuneo, went to extreme lengths to hide its ties to the US, using foreign companies and computer servers paid for via a bank account in the Cayman Islands.

They did so after acquiring more than 400 000 Cuban cell phone numbers.

USAID has denied that the programme was secret or that it had a political agenda. At the request of a congressional oversight committee, the State Department is reviewing texts sent to thousands of Cuban cellphone users to see if they were political.

Costa Rica's Foreign Ministry told the US Embassy in June 2009 that the plan to develop the social media network could lead to "political difficulties" for Costa Rica, and it refused to grant diplomatic status to two US government contractors involved in the programme, La Nacion, Costa Rica's largest newspaper, reported Tuesday.

According to an internal Foreign Ministry memorandum, Javier Sancho Bonilla, protocol and state ceremonial director for the ministry, said the project "could create a situation politically inconvenient since it can be interpreted that it would violate the principle of non-intervention in the internal affairs of other countries."

The note was sent to the foreign minister's chief of staff, Elaine White, on 2 June 2009.

Sancho's memo also suggested that Costa Rica withdraw from its co-operation agreement with the US government, which had been signed under the umbrella of the Alliance for Progress, an initiative of US President John F Kennedy aimed at preventing the emergence of Cuban revolutions in the rest of Latin America.

The Foreign Ministry told the US Embassy that the ZunZuneo plan exceeded the agreed limits of binational co-operation.

"Until now, the Cuban government hasn't complained to us because of this," Castillo said on Tuesday. "It may be that there were illegalities committed while this programme was being executed, but that is solely the responsibility of the US government."

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Kikuyu 2022 vote will go to Peter...

The 2022 Kikuyu vote will go to Peter Kenneth, a Rift Valley Governor has warned DP William Ruto. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD threatens to boycott 2017 po...

The CORD Coalition says that it will be forced to boycott the 2017 elections if there is no new voter register in place by the time. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Disgraced Jeptoo stripped of 2014...

Organizers of the Boston Marathon are stripping Kenyan runner Rita Jeptoo of her 2014 victory as part of the athlete's newly extended doping ban. Read more...