Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


US company in hot water over Afghan video

18 October 2012, 13:50

Washington - A private security company working for the US government in Afghanistan is in hot water after a video surfaced allegedly showing several of its employees drunk and on drugs, US broadcaster ABC reported on Wednesday.

The video posted on the website of ABC purportedly taken at an operations centre belonging to US defence contractor Jorge Scientific shows men with nude torsos downing vodka shots and wrestling with each other.

Another man, identified as the medic of the group, is shown in a dazed state after shooting up with Ketamine, a strong anaesthetic.

Contractors working for the US Army are banned from the use of alcohol and drugs.

The cell phone video, shot earlier this year, was provided to ABC by two former employees of the company, Jorge Scientific, who have filed a lawsuit against it.

"They endangered Jorge employees, the US mission, and US military personnel," claims the lawsuit obtained by ABC.

The two men filing the suit worked as armed security officers in Kabul as part of a $47m contract the company had to train Afghan police in counter-insurgency.


They told ABC they quit in disgust and out of fear their own safety was at risk due to the behaviour of their colleagues.

In a statement, Jorge Scientific - which has won almost $1bn in US government contracts - said it had taken "taken decisive action to correct the unacceptable behaviour of a limited number of employees" and hired an independent investigation team to carry out a probe.

An unspecified number of employees, including a former senior executive and "several others mentioned in the complaint" no longer work for the company, it said.

The Pentagon takes "all allegations of inappropriate behaviour by contractors and service members very seriously", Commander Bill Speaks, a spokesperson, said.

The US Army's Criminal Investigation Division was looking into the allegations, he added, but declined to provide any details.

According to ABC, at least one US Army major - a female - regularly joined the parties and engaged in sexual activities at the company's facility.

Almost 114 000 contractors worked for the Pentagon in Afghanistan as of 1 July, more than the 90 000 US soldiers deployed there, according to official statistics.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
4 ways to handle your cheating ma...

He is cheating. How do you handle him?

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Why do men choose second wives?

Why do men choose to have second wives?

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Wizkid set for twin Kenyan shows

Wizkid is back in Kenya. For two shows.

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Udada women's festival begins in ...

The Udada women's festival has arrived in Nairobi.

Submitted by
Uhuru pardons 2747 death row conv...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has pardoned a number of death row convicts, sending them to life sentences instead. Read more...

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?