Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


US Nazi suspect case moves ahead

22 May 2014, 17:14

Berlin - Germany's highest criminal court has ruled that the country has jurisdiction over the case of a retired Minnesota carpenter revealed in an investigation to be a former commander in a Nazi SS-led unit, according to a decision released on Thursday.

The Federal Court of Justice said in its ruling that 95-year-old Michael Karkoc's service as a commander in the SS-led Ukrainian Self Defence Legion made him the "holder of a German office", giving Germany the legal right to prosecute him even though he is not German himself, his alleged crimes were against non-Germans and they were not on German soil.

Someone in that role "served the purposes of the Nazi state's world view", the court said.

The decision represents "a big step forward" in the case against Karkoc, said Thomas Will, deputy head of the special federal prosecutors' office that investigates Nazi crimes, who handled the initial case in Germany.

Will referred the case to the court late last year after concluding in his own investigation that there was enough evidence to pursue murder charges against Karkoc, who has denied the allegations against him.

Will's office has no powers to file charges itself, and the federal court in its ruling referred the case to Munich prosecutors. They will now examine the evidence again to determine whether to charge Karkoc and attempt to have him extradited from the United States.

The German investigation was prompted after a story last year establishing that Karkoc commanded a unit accused of burning villages filled with women and children, and lied to American immigration officials to get into the United States a few years after World War II.

A second story uncovered evidence Karkoc himself ordered his men to attack a Polish village in which dozens of civilians were killed, contradicting statements from his family that he was never at the scene of the 1944 bloodshed in Poland.

Polish prosecutors are also investigating, but the US department of justice has refused to say whether it is, citing its policy to neither confirm nor deny whether an individual is under investigation.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...