Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


US Catholic church pays abuse victims

13 March 2013, 12:55

Los Angeles - The Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles has agreed to pay nearly $10m to four men who alleged they were molested by a former priest in the 1970s, their lawyers said on Tuesday.

Settlements were reached this month between lawyers for the men, the former priest involved, and LA's Cardinal Roger Mahony, who is taking part in the conclave to choose a new pope despite protests from victims.

The long-delayed release last month of hundreds of files about abuse claims - which came at the same time as Mahony was stripped of his duties for mishandling the scandals - helped precipitate the settlements, a lawyer said.

The priest involved, Reverend Michael Baker, molested the four young victims repeatedly in the 1970s, including on overnight trips to San Diego, according to the legal documents.

The lawsuits claim that then-Archbishop Mahony allowed him to continue to minister as a priest even though Baker admitted in 1986 that he had sexually abused minors in the past.

Baker was jailed for over 10 years in December 2007 after pleading guilty to 12 felony counts of oral copulation with a minor, involving two of the victims in these lawsuits. He was released in October 2011.

'Mahony's fingerprints all over case'

Lawyer Vince Finaldi said Baker was scheduled to be a witness, if the lawsuits - filed after the LA archdiocese reached a $660m settlement with abuse victims in 2007 - had gone to trial.

The LA archdiocese released files last month on over 100 clerics accused of sex abuse, as required under the 2007 lawsuit deal, including some showing Mahony discussing how to cover up alleged crimes.

Finaldi said the release of the files "played heavily" into the archdiocese's decision to settle the cases. "Once we got the files it confirmed everything we had argued for years and years," he told the LA Times.

"Cardinal Mahony's fingerprints were all over the case," he added.

The archdiocese did not immediately respond to a request for comment, or confirmation. The lawyers said they plan to give more details of the cases at a press conference on Thursday.

Mahony travelled to Rome to participate in the conclave to choose a successor to Pope Benedict XVI, despite calls from victims' groups for him to stay home following the recent revelations about his role in covering up alleged abuse.

Mahony, who retired in 2011, was stripped of his remaining church duties in January by his successor Archbishop Jose Gomez for mishandling claims against dozens of priests.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Raila ungrateful for my help, MP ...

An MP says that he made ODM famous in Meru and has accused the party of ungratefulness despite his hard work. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
I'm ready for by-election today, ...

I'm ready for a by election, an angry ODM rebel MP tells Raila Odinga. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
ODM kicks 6 MPs out of Parliament...

ODM has kicked 6 rebel members out of house committees. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Karua now headed to Jubilee?

Is Martha Karua now headed to the Jubilee Coalition? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Kenneth defends move to support U...

Peter Kenneth says that moving to support President Uhuru Kenyatta and the Jubilee Party is his democratic choice. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to keep her interested

It is not only men who lose interest in relationships. Read more...