Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

UN to discuss N Korea sanctions after deal

05 March 2013, 13:06

New York - The UN Security Council will meet on Tuesday to discuss new sanctions against North Korea agreed by the United States and China, diplomats said.

The closed door meeting was called by the Security Council presidency for 11:00 (1600 GMT). US and Chinese diplomats were to tell the other 13 council members of progress in their talks on action over the isolated North's 12 February atomic blast.

"There won't be a vote on Tuesday, but it could come soon. This is a sign that a draft resolution is about to be handed out," a UN diplomat said on condition of anonymity.

Details of the proposed new sanctions resolution were not immediately available.

Russia's UN ambassador Vitaly Churkin, the council president for March, said earlier on Monday that the United States has not yet circulated a draft text on North Korea, but it was expected soon.

US ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice, has been in talks with her Chinese counterpart, Li Baodong, on sanctions since North Korea staged its third nuclear test to near universal condemnation.

Riposte to 'US hostility'

Within hours of the blast, all 15 council members backed a statement which said the North was in "grave violation" of existing UN resolutions and that they would go ahead with an earlier threat to take "significant action" against the North.

China, ever fearful of threats to stability on its frontier, has been reluctant to agree to tough new action, diplomats said. "There have been tough talks between the United States and China," the UN envoy said.

North Korea said its third nuclear test in seven years was a riposte to "US hostility" shown in the widening of existing UN sanctions following its rocket launch in December last year.

The North says its long-range missile can now reach US territory. It has angrily warned that it will not be bound by UN resolutions in what diplomats have said is a strong indication that a new nuclear test or rocket launch could be tried.

The Security Council ordered wide-ranging sanctions against the North after its 2006 and 2009 nuclear tests.

Weapons exports banned


In 2006, the council ordered an embargo on arms and material for ballistic missiles against the North. It also banned exports of luxury goods and named individuals and companies to be subject to a global assets freeze and travel ban.

In 2009, the council banned North Korea's weapons exports and ordered all countries to search suspect shipments.

These measures were expanded after the long-range rocket launch in December, which the United States and its allies said was a test of a ballistic missile carrier. The rocket took a satellite into space.

There are currently 17 North Korean banks, trading companies and other entities on the UN sanctions list for an assets freeze. Nine individuals linked to the nuclear programme or efforts to finance it face an international travel ban and assets freeze.

Reports by UN sanctions experts have regularly indicated that prohibited luxury goods and other material getting in and out of North Korea are passing through China.

- SAPA

NEXT ON NEWS24 KENYAX
Share Print

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
KISIKA SAMUEL
Kimaiyo: Govt won’t relent on war...

IG David Kimaiyo has affirmed that the government will not relent on the war against terrorism following Wednesday evening’s blast at Pangani Police station that claimed lives of two traffic police officers. Read more...

Submitted by
KISIKA SAMUEL
Police: Operation Usalama Watch h...

Police spokesperson Zipporah Mboroki has said the ongoing Operation Usalama Watch has immensely reduced criminal activities in Nairobi city. Read more...

Submitted by
KISIKA SAMUEL
Health CS warns Counties against ...

The Health Cabinet Secretary has cautioned county governments against procuring medication, noting that the move will pave way for massive sale of harmful counterfeit drugs.  Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government under increased scruti...

The government is under increased scrutiny over a poor human rights record made even worse thanks to the ongoing terror swoop in the country. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Uhuru opens Kenya to Qatari inves...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has said that Kenya is a great destination for Qatari businesses if they choose to invest in the country. Read more...

Submitted by
MyNewsKenyaEd
Win Juliani’s new album by recycl...

Juliani has come up with a campaign that seeks to create responsible consumers, and has fans winning his new album by bringing trash to collection points across Nairobi.  Read more...