Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


UN: Philippines 'strewn with dead bodies'

12 November 2013, 16:14

New York - The United Nations warned on Monday of a quickly mounting death toll from the super typhoon in the Philippines, with 10 000 people feared killed in the worst-hit city of Tacloban alone.

One top humanitarian official said the UN was "expecting the worst" on the final body count, and also cited the desperate need for clean drinking water and food for survivors of the disaster.

John Ging, UN humanitarian operations director, said 660 000 people had fled their homes because of typhoon Haiyan and that the UN will appeal for significant international aid for victims on Tuesday.

"The scale of devastation is massive and therefore it will require the mobilisation of a massive response," Ging said, praising the Philippines government response to the disaster as "very impressive" so far.

UN humanitarian chief Valerie Amos, who is heading for the Philippines, said in a statement that "local officials estimate that some 10 000 people were killed in one city alone". Her spokesperson confirmed that she was referring to Tacloban, which was devastated by the storm.

Expect the worst

"Many places are strewn with dead bodies," Ging told a news conference at UN headquarters, confirming estimates that "over 10 000 people perished".

Amos was expected in Manila to run a joint relief operation by private groups and the UN, which has already released $25m from its emergency fund for aid.

Tuesday's "flash appeal" for cash, was likely to be seeking hundreds of millions of dollars, UN officials said.

When asked about Haiyan's final toll, Ging added: "We are certainly expecting the worst. As we get more and more access we find the tragedy of more and more people killed in this typhoon."

Ging told of the battle to get to Tacloban and other areas badly hit by the super typhoon, which swept huge waves and the fiercest storm winds recorded in the past century into the Philippines.

He said it was taking three hours for relief vehicles to cover the 11km from Tacloban airport into the city.

But the devastation is widespread across Leyte and other provinces, heightening fears of more deaths. The UN humanitarian agency said about 5 000 homes had been destroyed in Cadiz City in Negros Oriental province.

In Iloilo province there had "significant devastation" in the towns of Conception and San Dionisio, the agency added.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...