Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


UK media shows footage of Sri Lanka massacre

01 December 2010, 14:19

London - New footage of an alleged massacre by Sri Lankan troops during the island's civil war has been broadcast by a British television channel, which says at least seven women may have been killed.

Channel 4 said the five-minute video showed the women's dead bodies in a muddy field. It was an extension of another video shown by the channel last year in which soldiers appeared to shoot two blindfolded men.

"The new video seems to show the same incident, but rather than stopping after the execution of a second bound man, it continues and the camera pans left revealing the naked and dead bodies," the channel said.

Edited short clips of the video were broadcast on Tuesday as Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse arrived in London to address the Oxford Union on Thursday.

Hundreds of Tamils staged a demonstration outside the airport as Rajapakse arrived.

Channel 4 said the video had accompanying dialogue in which onlookers made "lewd and callous comments, which seems to strongly suggest that sexual assaults have taken place before the death of the women".

Sri Lanka has already dismissed the shorter version of the video, which was obtained from the Europe-based media lobby group Journalists for Democracy in Sri Lanka, as a "fabrication designed to discredit" its armed forces.

However, UN human rights envoy Philip Alston concluded in January that the video, said to be of Sri Lankan troops executing unarmed Tamil Tiger rebels, was authentic.

Sri Lankan troops defeated Tamil separatist forces in May 2009 after decades of bloody warfare.

The final military offensive triggered allegations of war crimes, with the United Nations, Western nations and rights groups pushing for a probe of possible violations by both sides.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM beats Jubilee in 3 by-electio...

ODM dominates Jubilee Party in by elections.

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Kenyan ivory seized in Vietnam

Vietnamese authorities have seized 1 tonne of ivory smuggled from Kenya, the fifth such seizure in the past month. Read more...

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...