Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Two killed in China septic tank phone search

30 May 2014, 15:37

Beijing -A man and his mother both died trying to retrieve his wife's new mobile phone from a toilet septic tank in China, reports said Friday, with four other people also entering the cesspit.

The woman dropped her new device -- worth 2,000 yuan (KES 28 000) -- in the open-pit toilet, reported Dahe, a web portal run by the Henan provincial government.

Her husband jumped in to try to locate the phone but was overcome by fumes and passed out, it said.

His mother went into the cesspit to try to help her son, but fainted herself, prompting the woman and then her father-in-law to enter in turn, the report said.

Two neighbours then followed the family into the septic tank, and were also overcome.

Villagers in Xinxiang, in central China, used ropes to retrieve the six people from the tank, which online images showed to be accessed via a metre-square brick-built hole.

The husband and mother-in-law both died, while the woman remained unconscious and the two neighbours were also ill, the report said.

"In five minutes, two lives have gone and my daughter-in-law is unconscious, leaving a half-paralysed elderly man and a one-year-old grandson," the husband's distraught uncle said, according to the web portal.

"How are we supposed to go on?"

The report did not specify whether the phone had been found.


Tags china

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...