Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Two arrested on suspicion of terrorism

09 August 2013, 12:31

Riyadh - Saudi Arabia said on Thursday it had arrested two men from Yemen and Chad on suspicion of planning suicide attacks, days after the United States closed embassies in the region citing an al-Qaeda threat.

The pair were detained in late July after they exchanged information on social media about imminent attacks, the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported, quoting an interior ministry official.

It said an investigation was continuing into the pair, who used mobile phones and encrypted electronic communications.

The world's top oil exporter and main US Gulf ally is a top target for al-Qaeda, which carried out attacks in Saudi Arabia a decade ago that killed hundreds.

Last week Washington announced it was closing embassies in the region temporarily.

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (Aqap), based in Saudi Arabia's lawless neighbour Yemen, is one of the militant movement's most active wings.

SPA did not make a connection between the arrests and the closure of the embassies.

Saudi Arabia has arrested thousands of suspects over the past 10 years and accused them of being involved with al-Qaeda. Attacks have been rare since 2006 when it crushed a domestic campaign by the militant group.

Human rights activists have said some of those detained in the past have been peaceful dissidents who demanded political change, a charge Riyadh denies.

Survivors of the al-Qaeda group in Saudi Arabia responsible for the 2003-2006 attacks are believed to have later fled to Yemen where they joined local militants to set up Aqap.

In 2009, an al-Qaeda suicide bomber tried to assassinate security head Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, now interior minister, but he was not seriously hurt.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM beats Jubilee in 3 by-electio...

ODM dominates Jubilee Party in by elections.

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Kenyan ivory seized in Vietnam

Vietnamese authorities have seized 1 tonne of ivory smuggled from Kenya, the fifth such seizure in the past month. Read more...

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...