Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Two Koreas in tussle over alleged defectors

03 June 2014, 08:19

Seoul - South Korea rejected North Korea's request on Monday to send home all three of its citizens who were found adrift last week in a small boat across their sea border, officials said.

The boat with three North Korean men on board was spotted by a South Korean coastguard vessel on Saturday off the South's east coast and the men questioned by security officials, Seoul's unification ministry said.

In a message sent on Monday through a cross-border military hotline, the North called for the immediate return of the three men and their boat, the ministry said in a statement.

In response, South Korea offered to send back one man through the border village of Panmunjom this week, saying the two other North Koreans had refused to go home in an apparent bid to defect.

"The two who refused to go back told investigators that they would defect, and our government would respect their wish," a ministry official told AFP.

South Korea has a policy of sending back North Korean fishing boats that stray across the maritime border or those rescued from sea accidents, unless they seek to defect.

Hundreds of North Koreans flee hunger and repression in their isolated communist homeland each year.

Most defectors flee to China and then a third country such as Thailand before coming to the South, but defections across the sea or land border between the two Koreas are rare.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...