Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Threatening letter, knife sent to minister

05 September 2014, 09:33

Seoul -South Korean police and military officials have launched a joint investigation into a letter threatening to "execute" the country's defence minister, officials said Friday.

The letter and a kitchen knife were found by a delivery man last week when he tried to re-pack a torn parcel addressed to Defence Minister Han Min-Koo, the defence ministry said.

Read Also: Popular politician fears for his life

"Through our investigation, we are trying to determine whether North Korea has been involved," a ministry spokesman told AFP.

The minister has vowed to take strong action against any provocations by North Korea, which has conducted a series of missile and rocket tests in recent months.

Pyongyang has issued a series of blistering threats against Han, the ministry said.

The letter, sent by the "International Peace Action Corps", threatened to punish Han and his family, condemning the minister for his perceived hardline stance against North Korea, the ministry said, adding the organisation was nonexistent.

It also accused Han of bringing "a fire cloud of a nuclear war to the Korean peninsula".

The ministry said the knife had red letters reading "Han Min-Koo" on one side, and "Execution" on the other side.

UN resolutions bar North Korea from conducting any launches using ballistic missile technology.

But the North has defended the missile launches as a legitimate exercise in self-defence and a response to US war manoeuvres.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...