Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Taliban claims deadly Afghanistan blast

25 January 2013, 15:13

Kabul – The Taliban claimed responsibility for an attack in which reports say five people died and 15 were injured on Friday. The Taliban however claimed that the attack had killed 12 US soldiers.

"Twelve American soldiers were killed and two of their tanks were destroyed," Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement. Neither the US government nor the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed the claim.

Provincial Governor Mehrabuddin Safi cited five civilians killed and 15 injured as the only victims of a suicide bomber who detonated his explosives-laden car next to a US military convoy in eastern Afghanistan.

"The incident took place this morning in Tagab district of Kapisa province, where a US military convoy was on the way," the official said.

US troops took over security responsibility when French soldiers withdrew from Kapisa province in November.

Safi said two houses nearby were destroyed in the attack.

ISAF confirmed the attack.

"According to our reports, there was a vehicle attack on the coalition convoy in Tagab district, but we have no reports of coalition deaths or injuries," said Les Carroll, an ISAF spokesperson.

Carroll did not specify if it was a US military convoy, but said a number of civilians were killed and injured.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...