Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Syria foes set to end talks, little progress

31 January 2014, 22:02

Geneva - Syria's warring sides are expected to wrap up their first peace talks on Friday without concrete progress on ending the violence, a political transition or ensuring humanitarian aid for millions in need.

The Syrian government and the opposition representatives got bogged down in a dispute on Thursday over who was responsible for the violence in the country, as the peace talks in Geneva focused on "terrorism".

While the mere fact of the rivals agreeing on a topic of discussion was seen as a step forward, the first round of talks are expected to end Friday without any significant breakthrough.

"There is of course agreement that terrorism ... is a very serious problem inside Syria, but there's no agreement on how to deal with it," UN mediator Lakhdar Brahimi told reporters, ahead of the seventh and final day of talks.

The two sides have been brought together in Geneva in the biggest diplomatic push yet to end a civil war that has left more than 130 000 dead and forced millions from their homes.

"This is really the beginning of our process," Brahimi stressed.

"I hope that when we come back we'll have a more structured discussion," said the UN mediator, who on Friday is expected to announce a second round of talks in Geneva after about a week.

Assad’s position

During the interval, Syrian opposition chief Ahmad Jarba will visit officials in Russia, one of the Syrian government's staunchest allies, his top aide told AFP Thursday evening.

Just getting the warring sides to sit down together for the first time since the conflict erupted in March 2011 is, however, seen as an important step forward.

"The important thing is that the parties meet in the same room," UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon told reporters in Berlin Thursday.

The sixth day of talks got off to a positive start, with the two sides sharing a minute of silence for all victims of the Syrian tragedy.

But even that symbol of unity was shattered when both sides insisted they were the ones who had requested the gesture.

The government delegation then went on to present a text it wanted the other side to agree on, urging all states to "prevent and stop the funding of terrorist acts".

The text, obtained by AFP, also insisted that "fighting terrorist organisations and driving them out of Syria is a common objective and duty for every Syrian".

The opposition rejected the communique as "one-sided" and "unacceptable," delegation spokesperson Louay Safi told reporters, pointing out that the text failed to denounce "the regime's crimes against humanity".

He insisted it was useless to discuss how to rein in violence before setting up a transitional government, called for in the never-implemented roadmap to peace adopted in 2012, without President Bashar Assad.

The current government "wants to keep the head of the regime at the expense of destroying the whole country," he said.

The government delegation has said Assad's position is not up for debate in Geneva.

'Ice slowly breaking'

Despite a constant combative tone, Brahimi had said on Wednesday "the ice is breaking, slowly", between the two sides.

This did not however mean that he had seen "any change in the position of the two interlocutors," he said on Thursday evening.

No progress was seen towards fulfilling the only tangible promise of the talks so far: the government’s promise to allow women and children safe passage from besieged rebel-held areas of Homs.

"I am disappointed, very disappointed," Brahimi said Thursday, lamenting the dire situation for about 3 000 people living with near-daily shelling and the barest of supplies in the areas that have been under siege since June 2012.

Elsewhere though, a food convoy finally gained entry on Thursday to the besieged Yarmuk Palestinian refugee camp, south of Damascus, where dozens have died from shortages of food and medicines.

The UN Palestinian refugee agency (UNWRA) said 600 food parcels had been delivered to the camp, where residents have spoken of eating grass, cats and dogs to stay alive.

It took months of pressure from Washington, which backs the opposition, and Moscow, Assad's key international ally and arms supplier, to bring the two sides together.

Their efforts also secured a landmark deal last year to remove and destroy Syria's chemical arsenal.

But on Thursday, Washington expressed concern over Syria's delay in handing over such weapons, after the world's chemical watchdog said less than 5% of the most dangerous chemicals in the Syrian armoury had been shipped out.

"This is not rocket science here. They're dragging their feet," said State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki.

"We need them to pick up those feet and run with this and move forward in moving the chemical weapons stockpile to the ports," she added.



Clinton soars to double-digit lead

24 October 2016, 07:16

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to get rid of cellulite at ho...

Proper diets and a healthy lifestyle are among the most effective natural remedies for cellulite. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth is not a good leade...

A local activist has slammed the former Presidential candidate Peter Kenneth for only appearing during elections but going underground when the country has problems.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Javelin champion Julius Yego invo...

He is undergoing treatment at the Medihill hospital in Eldoret. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...