Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Syria chemical rockets carried large load - Experts

06 September 2013, 08:39

Washington - An analysis by US weapons experts could shed light on a key question about the chemical weapons attack in August in Syria: how the rockets could have delivered enough gas to kill as many as 1 426 people.

The analysis, which was carried out by two independent US weapons experts, could be useful to US and other Western governments who are presenting a case that the Syrian regime was responsible for the attack.

Theodore A Postol, a physicist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Richard M Lloyd, an expert in warhead design, carried out their study based on photographs and video of the wreckage in the Damascus suburb where the attack occurred on 21 August.

Postol provided a copy of his analysis on Thursday. He concluded that the rockets in the photographs could have carried up to 50L of deadly sarin. Their study was also reported by The New York Times.

The experts said their analysis refutes earlier assessments that the rockets could not have carried enough sarin to cause mass casualties.

Evidence misinterpreted

On Friday, the US government released a document outlining the findings of a "large body" of independent sources indicating that a chemical weapons attack took place. But it did not reveal details of the evidence.

Postol and Lloyd conducted an extensive analysis of photographs and videos published on the internet of the debris of multiple rockets and concluded that the rockets had been modified using a clever design, and therefore could have carried enough gas to kill not just hundreds of people but the 1 426 figure Obama administration officials have cited.

"I have no information about how many canisters were fired and no information about where they landed," Postol told Deutche Presse-Agentur. "But if you are trying to make a circumstantial argument that more people were killed, this certainly supports that."

While the United States says the attack killed 1 426 people, estimates cited by European governments - Britain in particular - are much lower. While Postol and Lloyd's analysis helps to explain the discrepancy, Postol said he takes no position. He said he and Lloyd were just "trying to figure out what happened on the ground".

He said he believed that government and military intelligence officials had misinterpreted the evidence in the photographs by identifying small tubes seen in the debris as the payload canisters. The small tubes would have only had capacity for 1 or 2 litres of gas.

Postol and Lloyd concluded that these small tubes were part of the detonator device that caused the much larger canister holding the gas to burst open when it hit the ground.

Postol said he sent the analysis to "people in the government," including the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the White House.

Just as Postol and Lloyd's assessment came to light, there were indications on Thursday that Britain was reassessing its view of the attack.

Prime Minister David Cameron said Britain had "growing" evidence that the Syrian regime used sarin. The assessments were based on samples taken from Damascus and tested in Britain.

Cameron said the development would be used in a fresh attempt to persuade Russian President Vladimir Putin to do more to force Syrian President Bashar Assad to the negotiating table.

The results of UN weapons inspectors' onsite tests in Syria have yet to be revealed, but they also could provide more clarity about the attack.

They are likely to be released around the time next week when the US Congress votes on President Barack Obama's request for authorisation for limited military action against Syria.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Justice Isaac Lenaola appointed a...

He replaces retired Justice Philip Tunoi.

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...