Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Swede bomber not on security list

15 December 2010, 18:43

Stockholm - The suicide bomber who blew himself up on a busy pedestrian street in Sweden was not on a list of 200 radical Islamists that the country's security service had compiled, officials said on Wednesday.

In a report detailing the extent of extremist Islamist networks in Sweden, ordered months before Saturday's near-massacre in downtown Stockholm, the he Swedish security service (Sapo) downplayed the risk of terror attacks in the Nordic country.

Activity among radicalised Muslims in Sweden is primarily directed toward supporting militants in other countries, including Somalia, Afghanistan and Pakistan, it said.

"After Saturday's attempted attack, we can see that it also presents a serious threat against people in Sweden," Malena Rembe, chief analyst at Sapo's counter-terrorism unit, added at a news conference.

Taimour Abdulwahab, an Iraqi-born Swede, killed himself and injured two people on Saturday when a bomb he was wearing exploded on a pedestrian street in downtown Stockholm.

An audio file sent shortly before the blast from his cellphone referred to Sweden's military presence in Afghanistan and an image by a Swedish artist that depicted the Prophet Muhammad as a dog, enraging many Muslims.

Abdulwahab spent much of the past decade in Britain and appears to have been radicalised there. Rembe said he was not among the roughly 200 people that Sapo said they had identified as active in radical Islamist networks in Sweden.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...