Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Survivor found at Bangladesh disaster site

10 May 2013, 16:00

Dhaka - Bangladeshi rescuers on Friday found a woman survivor in the rubble of a garment factory complex which collapsed and killed more than 1 000 people on 24 April, the country's fire service chief said.

"She has been located in a gap between a beam and a column. Her name is Reshmi. She may have reserves of water or have drunk some of the water that we've pumped into the building," Ahmed Ali said.


The death toll rose past 1 000 on Friday as piles of bodies were found in the ruins of a stairwell where victims had sought shelter.

Earlier on Friday Brigadier General Siddiqul Alam Sikder, the army officer overseeing the operation on the outskirts of the capital Dhaka, said the death toll now stands at 1 035 after dozens more remains were discovered overnight.

Alam said that many of the bodies were now little more than skeletons, 17 days on from the implosion of the nine-storey Rana Plaza compound in Savar.

And the stench from under the rubble suggested that many more bodies are still to be located, he said.

"We have found a huge number of bodies in the stairwell and under the staircases. When the building started to collapse, workers thought they would be safe under the staircases," he said.

"Each time we moved a slab of concrete, we found a stack of bodies."

Inadequate compensation

Around 3 000 workers were on shift at Rana Plaza on the morning of 24 April when the building suddenly caved in.

Most of the employees were earning around $40 a month job to make clothing for Western brands such as Britain's Primark and the Spanish label Mango.

Survivors who are now without work say the levels of compensation are inadequate and won't even cover the medical costs for victims who have suffered serious injuries, including amputations.

Efforts to identify the victims are being hampered by the decomposition of bodies, although some were found with mobile phones in their pockets or identity cards around their necks.

Recovery workers, who are drawn from the ranks of the army and fire service, are having to wear masks and use air freshener.

The preliminary findings of a government probe have blamed vibrations from four giant generators on the compound's upper floors for triggering the collapse.

12 arrested

The building's architect said he designed the structure to house a shopping mall and offices, not factories.

Police have arrested 12 people including the plaza's owner and four garment factory owners for forcing people to work on 24 April, even though cracks appeared in the structure the previous day.

Factory workers have held protests calling for those responsible for the disaster to be executed, as well as demanding improved safety regulations.

The building collapse was the latest in a string of deadly accidents to hit the textile industry, with a factory fire last November killing 111 workers.

On Thursday, disaster struck again as a fire in another garment factory in Dhaka killed eight people, including its owner.

The cause of the fire was not known, but authorities said it broke out during the night on the third floor of an 11-storey building housing garment factories of the Tung Hai group in Dhaka's Darussalam district.

Shocking safety record

Fire is a common problem in the 4 500 garment factories in Bangladesh, with many operations based in badly constructed buildings with sub-standard wiring.

Bangladesh is the world's second-largest apparel maker and the $20bn industry accounted for up to 80% of annual exports last year.

But it has a shocking safety record and Western retailers have been threatening to pull out unless authorities come up with a credible programme to raise standards. Disney has already done so.

Western firms have criticised the factories for not ensuring worker safety, but major brands continue to place orders and critics say they turn a blind eye to the endemic problems.



Israel's next Gaza war will be 'last'

25 October 2016, 09:31

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Al Shabaab attack Mandera hotel, ...

A total of 33 non-locals were in the hotel when the assault was launched.  Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
4 ways to handle your cheating ma...

He is cheating. How do you handle him?

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Why do men choose second wives?

Why do men choose to have second wives?

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Wizkid set for twin Kenyan shows

Wizkid is back in Kenya. For two shows.

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Udada women's festival begins in ...

The Udada women's festival has arrived in Nairobi.

Submitted by
Uhuru pardons 2747 death row conv...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has pardoned a number of death row convicts, sending them to life sentences instead. Read more...