Suicide bomber targets Pakistan funeral
08 August 2013, 18:06
Quetta — Police say the death toll from a suicide bombing at a funeral for a policeman in southwestern Pakistan has risen to 23, including a senior officer.
Police officer Mohammed Aslam says Thursday's attack on the funeral in Quetta, the capital of Baluchistan province, also wounded over 60 people.
Quetta police chief Mir Zubair Mehmood says the funeral was being held for a policeman who was gunned down earlier in the day in the city.
Mehmood says the bomber detonated his explosives just before the funeral service was about to start. One of the dead included the head of police operations in Baluchistan, Fayaz Sumbal.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but suspicion will likely fall on Islamic militants in the province who often carry out suicide bombings.