Statue of Liberty security 'risky'
28 May 2013, 09:05
New York - New security plans for the Statue of Liberty could leave visitors vulnerable when it reopens on 4 July, New York officials said on Monday.
Senator Charles Schumer and New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly called for the National Park Service to reverse its plan, which calls for visitors to board boats in either lower Manhattan or New Jersey and stop at nearby Ellis Island for security.
Previously, passengers were screened with airport-style metal detectors before they boarded boats for Liberty Island.
"This screening was put in just after the horrific events of September 11. And I can tell you, in our judgement, the threat has not abated," Kelly said.
Terrorist groups, he added, "have an interest in targeting locations that represent America."
Kelly said he has written to the secretary of the interior about the issue.
Park service representatives did not immediately respond to comment requests.
The statue was closed after Superstorm Sandy late last year. Storm surges flooded Liberty Island, destroying boilers and electrical systems, but the statue, which is on higher ground, remained intact.