Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Start of evacuation of Syria's Homs districts

07 May 2014, 13:28

Beirut - Some 2 000 rebels and civilians were to begin leaving besieged opposition-held districts of Homs city in central Syria on Wednesday under a deal between fighters and the government.

Activists on the ground said two buses arrived in Homs early morning to begin the first of the evacuations.

Injured people who have been trapped in the Old City and surrounding areas for nearly two years under a tight government siege are to be the first to leave.

Under the deal negotiated with assistance of Iran's ambassador to Damascus, the group will be taken to an opposition-held area in the north of Homs province, according to a rebel negotiator.

Fighters will be allowed to withdraw with light weapons and one rocket launcher will be permitted on every bus used for the evacuation.

The deal will be guaranteed by the United Nations and Iran.


Homs governor Talal al-Barazi said on Wednesday that last-minute preparations were still being made but the operation "will take place today, God willing".

The deal was reached as part of an exchange for an unknown number of hostages being held by rebels in the northern city of Aleppo.

The district of Waer will remain under opposition control for now, but negotiations for a similar deal to that to be implemented in the Old City are already underway.

The Old City of Homs and surrounding rebel-held areas have been under a tight government siege for nearly two years.

Earlier this year, around 1 400 people were evacuated from the districts under a UN-Red Crescent operation.

But a group of fighters and civilians, including those with injuries who were unable to reach evacuation points, remained behind.

They faced increasingly tough conditions, with little food or medicine and the start of a government offensive to try to retake the areas.

More than 150 000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of the uprising in March 2011.


Tags syria

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Justice Isaac Lenaola appointed a...

He replaces retired Justice Philip Tunoi.

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...