Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Six Britons likely dead in Westgate attack

24 September 2013, 12:00

London - Six Britons are now believed to have been killed in an attack at the Westgate shopping mall staged by members of Al-Shabaab, Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said on Monday.

"Our current best estimate is we now have six British nationals who have died in this incident," he said after a meeting of the government's emergency committee chaired by Prime Minister David Cameron.

Three Britons and a dual British-Australian national had earlier been confirmed as among at least 62 people killed in the brutal assault at the Westgate mall in the Kenyan capital.

Hammond said another British victim had been confirmed and officials were awaiting final confirmation on the sixth.

"Of the additional two, one is confirmed and another one we believe to be a British national"

"But we are pretty certain we now have six British nationals who have died."

Referring to the ongoing security situation at the mall, where the attack began on Saturday, he said: "It is possible that we will discover further British nationals once the building is fully secured."

Cameron cut short a stay with Queen Elizabeth II at her private Balmoral estate in Scotland to return to London on Monday to chair the emergency response committee COBRA.

The committee had held one meeting without him on Monday morning.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...