Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Saudi man denied bond in US murder case

16 July 2013, 18:01

Warrensburg - A Missouri judge denied bond for a 24-year-old Saudi man accused of hiring his roommate to kill a local bar owner, ruling on Monday that the former college student was unlawfully in the US and could be held in jail even though his home government put up $2m for his bond.

Circuit Judge Michael Wagner said no amount of sureties could guarantee that Ziyad Abid wouldn't be deported by the US government if he were released from jail. Abid had been living legally in the US while studying at the University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg but lost his student visa around the time of his 5 September arrest.

Abid and his former roommate, Reginald Singletary Jnr, are charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the death of Warrensburg bar owner Blaine Whitworth. Prosecutors have released few details about the case, including what link Abid allegedly had to Whitworth, but Abid's attorneys said Abid had no connection to Whitworth and that Singletary had recently been fired as the bar's bouncer.

Bonds had been set for both men by Wagner's predecessor in the case, Circuit Judge Jacqueline Cook, who ruled in November that the Missouri Constitution required that Abid be allowed to post bond because he wasn't charged with capital murder. She set Abid's bond at $2m and Singletary's at $1m, but Wagner refused to release Abid after the Saudi government in April posted his bond amount.

In his ruling on Monday, Wagner said there were no guarantees that the federal government wouldn't deport Abid ahead of his trial.

"If deportation occurs, then the defendant will never be subject to the legal process of this Court to determine his guilt or innocence and, if convicted, held accountable under the law to this Court or to the family of the victim for his crime," Wagner wrote in his ruling.

Motion for speedy trial

Wagner also denied a request from Missouri Assistant Attorney General David Hansen, who is acting as the special prosecutor in the case, to delay Abid's 20 August trial date because he needs more time to prepare. Singletary's trial has been delayed until February.

Abid's attorneys told Wagner they filed a motion on Monday for a speedy trial, noting that Abid has already been in jail for 314 days.

Abid, who appeared in court Monday wearing a suit, has been in custody since he was charged in connection with the 1 September slaying of Whitworth, who was gunned down in his driveway. Singletary, aged 28, who had been living with Abid, admitted shooting Whitworth but told investigators Abid paid him to do it, according to court documents.

Abid's defence attorney Pat Peters said Singletary has refused to testify, but is negotiating with prosecutors on a possible plea deal, and without his cooperation the prosecution has no case.

"This may be the only case we can think of where one witness is the only linchpin on which everything else depends, and that's Mr. Singletary," Peters said. "We'd like to go to trial today. As of today, there is no witness for the state."

On Friday, defence attorneys again asked a Missouri appellate court to remove Wagner from the case and release Abid from jail. The court has not yet ruled on those requests.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...