Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


S Korea invites nuclear checks for safety

19 March 2013, 14:16

Seoul - South Korea announced on Tuesday plans to open all its 23 nuclear reactors to international inspection in an apparent bid to allay growing public concern over nuclear safety.

The government will start taking bids on Wednesday from international organisations or consortia capable of carrying out such a national survey, with a winner to be announced on 3 May, the Ministry of Knowledge Economy said.

The ministry in January had promised nuclear sector reforms after a series of malfunctions, shutdowns and corruption scandals further undermined public confidence already shaken by the 2011 Fukushima disaster in Japan.

The 10-week inspection will look into the safety of all 23 reactors currently in operation and evaluate maintenance procedures at eight sample reactors, the ministry said.

"It will also provide an important chance to improve the safety of the country's reactors down the road," it added.

A survey commissioned by the ministry and published in November showed only 35% of South Koreans considered nuclear power to be safe, sharply down from 71% in January 2010.

A series of shutdowns and scandals in 2012 triggered a warning from the International Energy Agency in the same month about the need to rebuild public trust.

In May, five senior engineers from the state-run Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power (KHNP) were charged with trying to cover up a potentially dangerous power failure at the country's oldest Gori-1 reactor.

Later in the year, the government shut down two reactors at the Yeonggwang nuclear complex to replace components provided with fake quality certificates.

And a third reactor was taken offline at Yeonggwang when cracks were found on control rod tubes during maintenance work.

The government has vowed to stick with its nuclear power programme and plans to build an additional 16 reactors by 2030.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...