Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


S Korea, US to 'maximise' bid to stop North

04 December 2012, 16:19

Seoul - South Korea and the United States will "maximise" diplomatic efforts to stop North Korea's planned rocket launch, Seoul's top nuclear envoy said on Tuesday as he left for talks in Washington.

Lim Sung-Nam's US trip will be dominated by Pyongyang's announcement on Saturday that it intends to launch a long-range rocket between 10 and 22 December.

The United States and its key Asian allies South Korea and Japan have condemned the move as a disguised ballistic missile test that violates UN resolutions triggered by Pyongyang's two nuclear tests in 2006 and 2009.

Lim told Yonhap news agency that his talks with US officials would seek to "maximise diplomatic efforts and the co-ordination between South Korea and the US to block North Korea's launch".

Lim met in Seoul on Monday with ambassadors from China, Russia and Japan - other members of the six-party talks on North Korea - to discuss a common response.

Pyongyang insists the launch is a "peaceful" and purely scientific mission aimed at placing a satellite in orbit.

China 'concerned'

A previous attempt in April failed when the carrier exploded shortly after take-off.

During his three-day visit to Washington, Lim will hold talks with his US counterpart, Glyn Davies, and other senior officials.

China, the North's closest ally, has expressed "concern" at the launch plan, with the foreign ministry urging "relevant parties [to] act in a way that is more conducive to the stability of the Korean peninsula".

Russia on Monday added its "regret" at Pyongyang's announcement and noted that North Korea was obliged to abide by UN resolutions.

Analysts say the international community is running out of options for pressuring the impoverished but nuclear-armed North, which is already under layers of sanctions.

The six-party, aid-for-denuclearisation talks have been at a standstill since Pyongyang walked of the forum in April 2009. It staged its second nuclear test a month later.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What To Do If She Has A Boyfriend

Here are tips to help you get a girl who has a boyfriend: Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Kalonzo blasts DP Ruto for ‘grabb...

11 Kamba MPs declared their allegiance to Jubilee last month. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
President Uhuru Kenyatta pardons ...

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Thursday released 7,000 petty offenders to create room in the prisons. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Why Mashujaa Day celebrations wer...

Find out why this year's Mashujaa Day celebrations were held in Machakos. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Foods that burn belly fat fast

You can take your best foods and snacks and still be able to get rid of that pot belly. Read more...