Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Quebec offers $60m in aid after deadly blast

14 July 2014, 11:52

Montreal - Quebec's government offered an additional $60m on Sunday to Lac-Megantic, the town devastated by last year's deadly train explosion in which 47 people were killed, local media reported.

Most of the extra funds will go to businesses in the town's still rebuilding core, the CBC said, quoting minister of municipal affairs and land occupancy Pierre Moreau.

He said the town in French-speaking Quebec province so far has received $409m in government aid since the disaster, Canada's worst in 15 years.

A 72-car oil train derailed in the early morning hours of 6 July 2013.

The train carrying 7.2 million litres of crude oil from the US state of North Dakota to a refinery in easternmost Canada came loose in the middle of the night, rolled downhill unmanned and derailed in the centre of town.

The picturesque lakeside town of Lac-Megantic was forever transformed. Fire-fighters needed two days to put out the raging blaze. Seven of the dead were never identified.

With the boom in production of non-conventional oil in North America, the number of train cars carrying fuel in Canada has gone from 500 in 2009 to 160 000 in 2013, while in the United States, it soared from 10 800 to 400 000 in the same period.

Light crude shale oil, 100 tons of which were carried in each car involved in the accident was more flammable than officially stated until then.

So the Canadian government subsequently decided to classify oil as a highly hazardous material.


Tags us canada

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Confused Jubilee afraid of me, Ki...

The Jubilee Party is afraid of me, Evans Kidero says. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Sonko ready for Peter Kenneth bat...

Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi Sonko says that he is ready to take on Peter Kenneth in Nairobi Gubernatorial nominations come 2017. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Uhuru wants change in Constitutio...

The Jubilee Coalition is planning to change the Constitution and add President Uhuru Kenyatta another term, Kalonzo Musyoka claims. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD to stop Jubilee efforts to r...

The CORD Coalition will not allow plans to remove Kenya from the Rome Statutes take place, it has said. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
How long will it take Kenya to le...

Kenya is looking to leave the ICC. But what is the process behind the exit? Read more...