Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Palestinians - peace talks 'futile'

05 September 2013, 08:38

Ramallah - Middle East peace talks have so far proved "futile," a senior Palestinian official said on Wednesday, calling for greater US participation in talks.

"Until now there has been no progress," the Palestine Liberation Organisation's Yasser Abed Rabbo told Voice of Palestine radio, after several weeks of meetings between Israeli and Palestinian negotiators.

"Despite our decision to take part in talks, we're now seeing what we expected - that there is little hope for their progress, in fact that hope is non-existent and negotiations are futile," he said.

Abed Rabbo's comments echoed those of another senior official who said on Monday that after several rounds of US-brokered talks there had been "no breakthrough."

"Saving this political process not only [requires] promises of more US meetings with the sides, but also a clear US stance and pressure on Israel," Abed Rabbo warned.

Palestinian officials have complained about the lack of direct American involvement in the talks, which began last month after intense efforts by US Secretary of State John Kerry to bring both sides to the table.

But ahead of the first bilateral meetings in Jerusalem on 14 August, Israel announced plans to build more than 2 000 Jewish settler homes on Palestinian territory, in a move that angered Palestinian negotiators.

Media blackout

The last direct negotiations broke down in September 2010 weeks after they had started over the settlements issue.

"Israel hasn't committed to halting settlement building. We've seen the continuation of settlement building, which is destroying any chance for this political process," Abed Rabbo said.

"Either this occupation and all settlement building ceases, or the process is doomed to failure and collapse."

The talks have been held under a US-imposed media blackout, with no official announcements of when or where they are to take place.

"The number and dates of talks are not important. I'm not following exactly when the meetings have taken place, and this is not what we're interested in," Abed Rabbo said.

"The fundamental issue is that until now there are no indications these talks have achieved any progress whatsoever."



Clinton soars to double-digit lead

24 October 2016, 07:16

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to get rid of cellulite at ho...

Proper diets and a healthy lifestyle are among the most effective natural remedies for cellulite. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth is not a good leade...

A local activist has slammed the former Presidential candidate Peter Kenneth for only appearing during elections but going underground when the country has problems.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Javelin champion Julius Yego invo...

He is undergoing treatment at the Medihill hospital in Eldoret. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...