Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Over 30 homes razed in Australian fires

10 February 2014, 17:51

Melbourne - More than 30 homes have been razed in the worst fire conditions Australia has seen since a 2009 inferno killed 173 people, with flames threatening the country's second-largest city, officials said on Monday.

Hot, dry winds and soaring temperatures fanned scores of major blazes across the southeast on Sunday, with Victoria state sweltering through its worst fire risk weather in five years.

"They were ferocious fires, they ran hard, they hit homes," said fire commissioner Craig Lapsley.

The emergency came exactly five years after the so-called Black Saturday firestorm devastated the state, flattening whole towns in what was Australia's deadliest natural disaster of the modern era.

100s stay in evacuation shelters

Victoria state premier Dennis Napthine said it had been the worst fire danger day since Black Saturday, with more than 30 homes confirmed lost so far across the state.

"At this stage we have no evidence of loss of life, which is a great effort by the firefighters and all emergency services, and at this stage we have no evidence of serious injury," Napthine said.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the government stood ready "to do all we reasonably can to ensure that people get the help they need in these difficult, difficult hours and days".

Hundreds of people spent the night in evacuation shelters after being forced to flee their homes.

A major open-cut coal mine was ablaze, with a nearby power station in the path of one fire. Napthine said emergency crews were working "very, very hard in that area to protect those strategic assets".

Six blazes remained at emergency level on Monday including a 40km front on the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia's second-biggest city, with tens of thousands of hectares scorched.

At least 12 of Sunday's fires were thought by police to have been deliberately lit.

Residents described houses "exploding" into flames, with one woman saying it was like "the whole world was alight".

Great firefighters

Fire crews said they saved about 550 properties from an intense blaze at suburban Keilor near Melbourne Airport.

"It was very hard for us to initially get that fire to stop due to the fact that the winds were blowing up towards the airport," said Rob Purcell from the Metropolitan Fire Brigade.

"But we had great firefighters who did a brilliant job in saving a huge amount of assets."

At Warrandyte, also on the outskirts of Melbourne, resident Brenda Ireland described a "huge ball of flames just rushing across our backyard".

Neighbour Jamie Conlon said he "just sprinted" shirtless and without shoes down his driveway, which was flanked by flames.

"I didn't stop to look... I thought I was dead," he said. "I was just screaming. I was terrified."

‘A massive wall of fire’

One man told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that fast-moving flames had cut off his evacuation route, forcing him to stay and defend his property near Forbes north of Melbourne.

"It was a massive wall of fire," said the man, who identified himself only as Peter.

"I really didn't think I was going to make it but luckily in our case the fire spread around our house and our shed, went either side of us. And then for a good five, 10 minutes I thought 'This is it'."

Chintin resident Helen Goudy described abandoning her house as flames licked the walls and running 20 metres to a neighbour's dam with her children aged 2, 4 and 7. They took refuge under a blanket for an hour while the flames passed.

The fire threat eased in many areas on Monday as cooler temperatures arrived from the south.

Vast wildfires are common in Australia's December-February summer months. Some 25 homes were destroyed in the southeast last month following a week-long heatwave that also saw 56 homes razed in separate blazes on the west coast.

Experts say heatwaves are becoming longer and more frequent in Australia due to climate change.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...