Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


No footage of 11 abducted from Mexico bar

04 June 2013, 14:56

Mexico City - Surveillance video reviewed so far by police hasn't shown a mass abduction of 11 young people who have been missing in Mexico City for more than a week, an official in the city prosecutor's office said on Monday.

The official said investigators still had several more hours of footage to review but they hadn't found any scenes of gunmen kidnapping the group as described by a witness.

Police also found no find evidence of a mass abduction or violence inside the after-hours bar cited by the witness, the official said.

The official agreed to talk about the case on condition his name not be revealed because he wasn't authorised to discuss an investigation still in progress.

A man who said he escaped the mass abduction from the bar on 26 May told authorities that masked men with large guns and SUVs kidnapped the group in broad daylight.

The man talked to authorities when he accompanied one of the missing's relatives to file a report, but authorities haven't been able to locate him since then, the official said.

No other witnesses have come forward, authorities have said.

The bar is on a narrow street surrounded by towering office buildings just off the city's busy Paseo de la Reforma. The bar is also a short walk from the federal police building and the US Embassy.

But no one saw anything that Sunday at around 10:00 when the abduction supposedly happened and when nearby Reforma was full of people gathering for a 5-kilometer foot race, the city's weekly urban bike ride and an international culture fair that had just opened the day before.

Mexico City Interior Secretary Hector Serrano said on Monday that the bar had previously been shut down by authorities but an injunction allowed it to reopen.

He said the bar's owner was being sought by authorities. Police also have said they couldn't locate any of the bar's employees.

- AP

Tags mexico

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Advice from a young married Kenya...

I was just going to get water in the office kitchen and thought a simple hi was fine until I ended up in an hour long conversation with someone. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Helping you find the type of man ...

To put it simply, you can’t go looking for fish in a meat market; you have to go to a fish market. Read more...