Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


News of the World editors were lovers

01 November 2013, 12:55

London - The two most prominent defendants in Britain's phone-hacking trial, former News of the World editors Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, had a six-year affair, prosecutors said on Thursday.

Lawyer Andrew Edis told London's Old Bailey court that the pair were lovers from at least 1998 to 2004, which includes the period they worked together at the Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid.

Edis said the relationship was laid bare in a 2004 letter found on Brooks' computer and insisted it was directly relevant to the charges against them of conspiracy to hack phones.

"It is clear from that letter that, as of February 2004, they had been having an affair which had lasted at least six years," he told the jury.

"The point that I'm going to make in relation to that letter is that over the relevant period, what Mr Coulson knew, Mrs Brooks knew too. And what Mrs Brooks knew, Mr Coulson knew too."

He added: "Mrs Brooks and Mr Coulson are charged with conspiracy and, when people are charged with conspiracy, the first question a jury has to answer is how well did they know each other? How much did they trust each other?"

"And the fact that they were in this relationship which was a secret means that they trusted each other quite a lot with at least that secret and that's why we are telling you about it."

Brooks, Coulson and Brooks' husband Charlie - who she married in 2009 - are among eight defendants appearing on charges ranging from hacking mobile phone voicemail messages to concealing evidence and bribing officials for stories to be printed in the tabloid.

Murdoch was forced to shut down the News of the World in July 2011 amid a storm of revelations that it had illegally accessed the voicemail messages of a murdered schoolgirl as well as hundreds of celebrities.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...