Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


New Zealand mine company found guilty

18 April 2013, 17:06

Wellington - A New Zealand mining company that owned a colliery where 29 men died in a 2010 gas explosion was found guilty on Thursday of safety breaches that led to the fatal blast.

Judge Jane Farish found there was a direct link between safety breaches at Pike River Coal and the deaths at the South Island colliery on 19 November 2010 - New Zealand's worst mine disaster in almost a century.

"In this case, there were fundamental breaches of the Health and Safety in Employment Act which led to the unnecessary deaths of 29 men," she said in a written judgement at the Greymouth District Court.

She found Pike River Coal guilty on all nine counts laid against the company, including failing to take all practicable steps to prevent employees coming to harm. Each charge carries a maximum penalty of $211 000.

Farish said sentencing would take place on 4 and 5 July, although it is unclear what assets the company has, as it went into receivership when the mine failed to re-open after the explosion.

The disaster claimed the lives of 24 New Zealanders, two Australians, two Britons and a South African.

Former mine boss to go on trial

Their remains are still entombed about 2.5km into the mine shaft, with recovery teams unable to reach them because of fears that volatile gases remain in the pit.

An Australian company that provided services at the mine, VLI Drilling Pty Limited, was convicted last October of three safety breaches and fined $39 000.

The mine's former chief executive Peter Whittall will go on trial facing similar charges later this year. He has pleaded not guilty.

A royal commission into the disaster found late last year that operators ignored numerous danger signs in a rush to boost production at the mine and there was no effective oversight from regulators.

The commission did not recommend pursuing criminal charges over the disaster, instead calling for a major overhaul of mine safety regulation in New Zealand.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What To Do If She Has A Boyfriend

Here are tips to help you get a girl who has a boyfriend: Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Kalonzo blasts DP Ruto for ‘grabb...

11 Kamba MPs declared their allegiance to Jubilee last month. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
President Uhuru Kenyatta pardons ...

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Thursday released 7,000 petty offenders to create room in the prisons. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Why Mashujaa Day celebrations wer...

Find out why this year's Mashujaa Day celebrations were held in Machakos. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Foods that burn belly fat fast

You can take your best foods and snacks and still be able to get rid of that pot belly. Read more...