Nepal Quake: Official death toll rises to 4 310
28 April 2015, 08:08
Kathmandu - The death toll from a devastating earthquake in Nepal has risen to 4 310, the home ministry said on Tuesday.
A further 7 953 people are now known to have been injured in Saturday's quake, said ministry spokesperson Laxmi Prasad Dhakal.
Officials had previously put the death toll at 4 010, while nearly 100 people have also been killed in neighbouring countries.
As the focus begins to shift from the dead to the survivors, international aid agencies and officials warned the spread of disease is now the biggest concern. The monsoon season, which brings heavy rains, begins in Nepal at the end of May.
The UN Children's Fund estimates nearly one million children in Nepal have been severely affected by the quake, and it has warned of waterborne and infectious diseases.
Nepalis, meanwhile, prepared on Monday to spend a third night in the open after Saturday's earthquake, as anger began to emerge at the slow pace of recovery.
Key highways have been blocked by landslides, and many villages and communities are without water and electricity, surviving on salvaged food and with no outside help.
While aid has begun arriving in the capital, including consignments of food, medical supplies, tents and sniffer dogs, the authorities are struggling to get relief out to devastated areas, overwhelmed by bad phone lines, poor roads, a lack of equipment and strong, repeated aftershocks.
Sarga Dhaoubadel, a student living outside Kathmandu, said her family was sheltering in a playground, under a plastic sheet. There were some reports of isolated looting in her area.
"No one from the government has come to offer us even a glass of water," Dhaoubadel said. "Nobody has come to even check our health. We are totally on our own here."