Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


NY bomb plot a 'racist conspiracy': Father

19 October 2012, 14:42

Dhaka - The father of a Bangladeshi man accused of attempting to blow up the New York Federal Reserve Bank denied on Thursday that his son was involved and said he was a victim of a "racist conspiracy".

Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, aged 21, was arrested on Wednesday in New York and faces charges of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to provide material support to al-Qaeda.

"This is nothing but a conspiracy. There is still a racist conspiracy there," his father, Quazi Mohammad Ahsanullah, told reporters in the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka.

"The intelligence of the USA is playing with a mere boy whom we sent for higher study. The allegation against my son is not true at all. He could not even drive a car. How was he caught with a van?"

Nafis appeared in a Brooklyn court on Wednesday. The criminal complaint against him said he had entered the United States in January and that he had said he was in contact with members of al-Qaeda overseas.

The complaint said he had travelled by van with a man to a New York warehouse where Nafis assembled what he thought was a 450kg bomb.

Frustration over employment

The man he believed to be an accomplice was in fact an undercover agent working for the FBI and the explosives were not in working condition. He was arrested later in a hotel near the bank.

Nafis had been a business student at North South University, a prestigious private institution in Bangladesh, before leaving to study computer science in the United States.

Officials at Southeast Missouri State University said they were assured by the FBI that the school was never threatened by Nafis, who was enrolled in a new cyber security curriculum from January until May.

"We are very dismayed and concerned that a former Southeast student would be involved in an alleged act of terrorism," university President Kenneth Dobbins said on Thursday in a letter to staff and students.

Student Jim Dow, who knew Nafis, told KFVS-TV in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, that Nafis did not speak badly about the United States but harboured some frustration over employment.

"The only thing I ever heard him say he didn't like about the United States is he didn't have enough money and he couldn't get a job, being on a student visa," Dow said.


Dobbins said Nafis requested in the summer to have his school records transferred to a college in Brooklyn.

Nafis' father, a senior vice president of a private bank, said Nafis was the more religious of his two children, but in no way a fanatic. He told reporters he had asked the government for help "so that our son will not fall victim to an arranged story".

"He fell into trap," he said. "We talked with him 24 hours before he was arrested."

A representative for the US Attorney's Office in Brooklyn rejected the suggestion that Nafis was entrapped.

"He directed all the key elements. It was all under his direction," spokesperson Bob Nardoza said.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Confused Jubilee afraid of me, Ki...

The Jubilee Party is afraid of me, Evans Kidero says. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Sonko ready for Peter Kenneth bat...

Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi Sonko says that he is ready to take on Peter Kenneth in Nairobi Gubernatorial nominations come 2017. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Uhuru wants change in Constitutio...

The Jubilee Coalition is planning to change the Constitution and add President Uhuru Kenyatta another term, Kalonzo Musyoka claims. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD to stop Jubilee efforts to r...

The CORD Coalition will not allow plans to remove Kenya from the Rome Statutes take place, it has said. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
How long will it take Kenya to le...

Kenya is looking to leave the ICC. But what is the process behind the exit? Read more...