Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mexico slammed over 'disappearances'

21 February 2013, 12:02

Mexico city - Human Rights Watch charged on Wednesday that Mexican security forces were not properly investigated over at least 249 "disappearances" that occurred during President Felipe Calderon's government.

"Mexico's Disappeared: the Enduring Cost of a Crisis Ignored," said the people went missing during the Calderon administration, which lasted from 2006 until late last year, and are presumed dead.

The former leader sent in thousands of federal security troops in a bid to crush the country's warring and brutal drug cartels, in a campaign that left tens of thousands of innocent civilians dead in the crossfire.

The rights monitor said in its 193-page report that security forces had been involved in disappearances since 2007, which it had documented, and called on the country's new government to account for the missing.

"In more than 140 of these cases, evidence suggests that these were enforced disappearances, meaning that state agents participated directly in the crime, or indirectly through support or acquiescence," the New York-based group said.

"These crimes were committed by members of every security force involved in public security operations, sometimes acting in conjunction with organized crime.”

"In the remaining cases, we were not able to determine based on available evidence whether state actors participated in the crime, though they may have."

More Than 70 000 Killed

The report warns that while there were at least 249 reported cases, after 2007, there may have been thousands of others, citing government documents leaked to local media which estimate the number at up to 25 000.

The war against cartels that Calderon stepped up "produced disastrous results," the report said.

"Not only had it failed to rein in the country's powerful criminal groups, but it had led to a dramatic increase in grave human rights violations committed by the security forces sent to confront them."

It added: "Rather than strengthening public security, these abuses had exacerbated a climate of violence, lawlessness, and fear."

More than 70 000 people were killed during the effort, according to official data.
President Enrique Pena Nieto, with the Institutional Revolutionary Party, took power in Mexico on December 1.

The new leader has said he wants to change the military's role in fighting organised crime, but his overall strategy is yet to be outlined in detail.

The Human Rights Watch report is due to be released officially on Thursday, but the group's Americas chief, Jose Miguel Vivanco, met Wednesday with Mexican Interior Minister Miguel Angel Osorio Chong to discuss it.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...

ODM official acquitted of defilem...

A Nakuru ODM official on Thursday broke into tears after the court acquitted him of defilement charges leveled against him by his 15-year-old cousin. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...