Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mexican villagers recount horror of huge mudslide

19 September 2013, 20:30

Acapulco - A rumbling noise came from the hill before the earth crashed down on the Mexican hamlet of La Pintada, burying people, the school and church after days of rain, survivors told AFP.

The remote mountain village in the south-western state of Guerrero was the latest casualty of twin major storms that battered Mexico and killed 80 people elsewhere in the country this week.

Survivors who were evacuated to the Pacific resort of Acapulco told AFP that the mudslide occurred on Monday, but news of the disaster in the coffee-growing village only emerged on Wednesday.

Ediberto Tabarez, the mayor of Atoyac de Alvarez, a municipality that oversees La Pintada, told AFP in a phone interview that at least 15 bodies have been pulled out of the rubble after 20 homes were buried.

President Enrique Pena Nieto did not confirm a death toll but said 58 people were missing after the "major landslide" buried part of the village of 400 people.

"We are not sure for the moment how many people are trapped under the mud," he said.

The earth had already rumbled days before the mudslide, but most residents stayed put, survivors said. Only those living on the banks of the river decided to leave due to heavy rains.

"More than half of La Pintada was demolished, few homes were left," Maria del Carmen Catalan, a 27-year-old mother of three, said at a convention centre that serves as a refuge for storm victims.

‘Worse than a bomb’

Many people were eating in their homes on the second day of Independence Day celebrations when the massive chunk of land slipped at around 16:00.

"We were eating when it thundered, and when the mountain collapsed the homes were swept away and the thundering noise became louder," said Erika Guadalupe Garcia, a 25-year-old mother of three.

Ana Clara Catalan, aged 17, was preparing corn tortillas when she heard a "loud noise".

"We ran out. It was an ugly noise, worse than a bomb," she said. "The school, the kindergarten and the church were lost. Everything was taken."

The mix of earth and rubble came crashing into the river. Those who ran survived. Later, foul smells began to spread across the desolate village, apparently the stench of rotting bodies.

A resident spread the news of the disaster after he was able to communicate by radio with someone from a neighbouring village.

Interior Minister Miguel Angel Osorio Chong said 334 people - mostly women, children and senior citizens - were evacuated by police helicopters on Wednesday.

He said 45 men would spend the night there with federal police officers and would be picked up by helicopters on Thursday.

The injured were taken to a navy hospital. The minister said earlier that 14 people were hurt.

Osorio Chong held up a picture showing the mountain of earth and rock smack in the middle of the village.

He said the search for bodies will only begin on Thursday because the area remains dangerous, with water gushing from where the earth fell, threatening to trigger another landslide.

"The risk for people staying there is high," he told a news conference.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...