Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Manning's lawyers dispute charges

11 June 2013, 08:37

Fort Meade - US Army Private Bradley Manning's defence team sought on Monday to cast doubt on some of the charges he faces for passing hundreds of thousands of secret government files to WikiLeaks.

At the start of the second week of Manning's trial, the court heard that one software program he is said to have downloaded illicitly while stationed in Iraq was used by everyone in the intelligence cell where he worked.

Manning has admitted sending diplomatic cables and battlefield reports from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to WikiLeaks but he denies "aiding the enemy," chiefly al-Qaeda, a charge that could see him jailed for life if convicted.

Chad Madaras, who worked alongside Manning at Forward Operating Base Hammer in eastern Baghdad, sharing the same computer on alternating shifts, testified that an internet chat program, known as mIRC, was widely used.

"Everybody had it" on their computers, Madaras, who held the rank of sergeant when he left the army in January this year, said at Manning's court-martial, which is being held at Fort Meade military base in Maryland.

Asked by Manning's civilian defence lawyer if the program had been banned by army commanders, Madaras replied: "No, sir."

The slew of charges that Manning faces, 21 in total, includes counts that he breached army regulations by using unauthorised software for unintended purposes and that he circumvented security systems by acting beyond his authority.

WikiLeaks's decision to publish some of the material it received from Manning caused deep embarrassment to US political leaders and led to his arrest in Iraq in May 2010. He has been held in military detention ever since.

The government argued in the first week of the trial that Manning had set out to leak information almost from the start of his deployment - he arrived in Iraq in November 2009 - but the defence disputes this.

The court heard on Monday from Special Agent David Shaver, the prosecution's lead forensic examiner, that Manning had probably first searched the internet in early December 2009 for information on WikiLeaks and its founder Julian Assange.

Analysis of Manning's computer showed that a slightly later search, on 29 December, 2009, relating to "websites that had information pertaining to WikiLeaks," had proven "successful," Shaver said.

He also testified that on 5 March the following year Manning had used a widely-available program, WGet, to download hundreds of reports on detainees being held at the US military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

However, under cross-examination from Coombs, Shaver, of the army's Computer Crimes Investigative Unit, admitted that use of WGet had not been forbidden.

Shaver said the 800 or so web searches Manning made included use of the keyword "Farah," relating to a US airstrike in Afghanistan said to have killed 100 civilians, a video of which was passed to WikiLeaks but never published.

Manning, a homosexual, had also done searches relating to gender identity disorder, with which he has struggled, and the military's since renounced "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," policy on gays.

Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter. 



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...