Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Man sues China govt over museum demolition

13 December 2013, 18:09

Shanghai - A Shanghai man is suing local authorities in China's commercial hub for almost $48m over the demolition of his home, which doubled as a private museum a court and reports said on Friday.

Liu Guangjia, whose house and a museum-style garden of bonsai trees and exotic rocks in the southwestern suburb of Anle were destroyed in April last year, is seeking $47.6m in compensation, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

The museum was free to visit for the public, it added.

It is rare for cases against the authorities to reach the courts in China, and state media said Liu's demand was the largest ever brought against a local government.

A district court heard that Liu and his wife Zhu Rongzhou, both in their 70s, were taken away and tied up for 30 hours during the demolition, the Global Times said.

"Zhu had just finished treatment for breast cancer and Liu's arm was dislocated in the struggle," it reported.

"When they were released, the house, museum and all the contents were all gone," it added.

In an online trial report, the court said objects taken away from the house and museum included dinosaur fossils, calligraphy, gold and jewellery.


Liu said the district authorities and a local property developer "forcefully and unlawfully" tore down the property and took away his collections, according to Xinhua.

The local Minhang government denies the accusations and says the demolition followed legal procedures.

Forced demolitions are common in China as local governments rely heavily on land sales for their incomes and investment projects to drive economic development.

Users of China's Twitter-like Sina Weibo micro-blogging service condemned the Minhang authorities.

"Forced requisition and demolition are no different from robbery and plunder of villains and bandits", Xie Zhiyong, a professor at Chinese University of political science and law, wrote on his verified Weibo.

"I hope to see an impartial verdict from the court," said another Weibo user.

The case was continuing on Friday, the Higher People's Court of Shanghai said on its microblog.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Deal with corruption or lose in 2...

A Jubilee Party MP says that the unending corruption claims against the government are killing President Uhuru Kenyatta's re-election efforts for 2017. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
MP accuses Raila of making up fal...

An MP has accused CORD leader Raila Odinga of bringing up non existent corruption scandals to hurt the Jubilee government. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave office if you can't handle ...

Leave office if you cannot handle corruption, an MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Give me the chance to unseat Uhur...

Give me the chance to send President Uhuru Kenyatta home, Kalonzo Musyoka tells Kenyans. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Explain your foreign trips since ...

Explain your foreign trips, Musalia Mudavadi tells President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...