Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Man pleads guilty to assaults, won't blame twin

28 November 2013, 08:02

Colorado Springs - An Army artillery officer who planned to argue his twin brother was responsible for sexual assaults involving young girls in Colorado has changed his story and pleaded guilty to the charges on Tuesday.

A trial had been scheduled for January, but the plea means 1st Lieutenant Aaron Lucas faces 20 years to life in prison at a sentencing scheduled for February.

According to The Gazette newspaper, Lucas’s attorney, Ted McClintock, says his client "wanted to do the right thing".

"He loves his family. He doesn't want to create problems for them," McClintock said.

Lucas' relatives were not at the hearing.

Lucas, aged 32, pleaded guilty to nine cases in El Paso County between 2009 and 2012 involving girls aged 4 to 10. The charges ranged from indecent exposure to kidnapping and rape.


Authorities said most of the victims were approached near their homes or as they walked home from school. The assailant wore military fatigues, authorities said.

Prosecutors called Lucas’s plan to blame his twin brother a desperate legal move.

"Looking at the evidence, it really was the only thing they could have argued," said prosecutor Kelson Castain.

Investigators said a DNA test linked Lucas to the abduction of an 8-year-old girl in Colorado Springs and that he also matched biological material recovered in cases in Alabama and Texas.

Prosecutors also said they had evidence that the twin, Brian Frederick Lucas, wasn't in any of the states in question when the crimes were committed.

As part of a plea agreement, prosecutors dropped additional charges that Lucas had faced, and he agreed to not fight his extradition to Texas for a 2009 case. Alabama authorities agreed not to pursue charges for a 2007 case.

Earlier this month, when Lucas was still contesting the charges, a judge had agreed to allow his attorneys to present his twin as an alternate suspect.

"Certainly there's been stress on the family," McClintock said. "But they still love and support him."

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...