Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Malaysia warns of 'huge' cost in MH370 search

17 April 2014, 20:01

Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia warned on Thursday that the cost of the search for flight MH370's wreckage in the vast depths of the Indian Ocean will be "huge", the latest sobering assessment by authorities involved in the challenging effort.

"When we look at salvaging [wreckage] at a depth of 4.5km, no military out there has the capacity to do it," Transport and Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein told reporters in Kuala Lumpur.

"We have to look at contractors, and the cost of that will be huge."

The search in a remote stretch of ocean far off Western Australia was enlivened in the past two weeks by the detection of signals believed to be from the Malaysia Airlines plane's flight data recorders on the seabed.

But the transmissions have gone silent before they could be pinpointed, raising the spectre of a costly and extensive search of a large swathe of ocean floor at extreme depths.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott of Australia, which is leading the multi-national search, had earlier warned in an interview published on Thursday that an autonomous US Navy sonar device that began scanning the seabed for wreckage on Monday would be given one more week.

If nothing is found, authorities would reassess how next to proceed in the unprecedented mission to find the plane, Abbott said in the Wall Street Journal.

The Bluefin-21 completed its first full scanning mission early on Thursday.

An initial attempt was aborted when the sub hit its maximum depth at 4.5km. A second was cut short by unspecified "technical" troubles.

Hishammuddin said he agreed with Abbott, saying "there will come a time when we need to regroup and reconsider".

"But in any event, the search will always continue. It's just a matter of approach," said Hishammuddin, who did not specify what any alternative approach would be.

Australia's search chief Angus Houston said earlier this week that authorities already were looking at possible alternative methods, including undersea devices that can go deeper than the Bluefin-21, but he also gave no specifics.

The Beijing-bound Malaysia Airlines flight with 239 people aboard inexplicably veered off its Kuala Lumpur-Beijing course on 8 March, and is believed to have crashed in the Indian Ocean.



Clinton soars to double-digit lead

24 October 2016, 07:16

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to get rid of cellulite at ho...

Proper diets and a healthy lifestyle are among the most effective natural remedies for cellulite. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth is not a good leade...

A local activist has slammed the former Presidential candidate Peter Kenneth for only appearing during elections but going underground when the country has problems.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Javelin champion Julius Yego invo...

He is undergoing treatment at the Medihill hospital in Eldoret. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...