Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MH370 mini-sub zone search set to end

17 April 2014, 12:53

Perth -The mini-submarine hunting for flight MH370 will finish scouring its current strip of the Indian Ocean within a week, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has said, adding that if unsuccessful the operation will be forced to move into a new phase.

Abbott told the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday that authorities will need to rethink their approach if the US Navy mini-submarine fails to find wreckage from the missing Malaysian jet in its current search zone, 2 000km off Perth.

"We believe that search will be completed within a week or so," Abbott told the US newspaper.

"If we don't find wreckage, we stop, we regroup, we reconsider."

The unmanned Bluefin-21 submersible on Thursday completed its first full mission in the search zone, where underwater signals - believed to be from the missing plane's black box - were detected earlier this month.

Data retrieved by the mini-submarine is being analysed.

Australia determined, confident

Australian officials said the Bluefin had searched around approximately 90 sq km so far.

The mini-sub's first two attempts to scan the seabed for signs of the Boeing 777, which vanished on 8 March with 239 people on board, had to be cut short - on Tuesday because the water was deeper than its 4 500m operating limits - and on Wednesday because of an unspecified technical problem.

"My determination for Australia is that we will do whatever we reasonably can to resolve the mystery," Abbott said.

"If the current search turns up nothing, we won't abandon it, we will simply move to a different phase," he added, reiterating his confidence that searchers were looking in the right place.

The Bluefin's aborted first two missions have raised the spectre of a prolonged, difficult search that may require even more sophisticated equipment to be deployed.

The US Navy has estimated it would take the sophisticated device "anywhere from six weeks to two months to scan the entire search area".



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What to do after breakup

Your life does not end after breakup. Here are tips to move on: Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Rare gift for President Uhuru Ken...

Young Jubilee supporters have a rare surprise gift for the President. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Illegal milk nabbed in Mombasa wa...

Milk powder is considered a sensitive commodity under the EAC Common External Tariff (CET) and attracts an import duty at a rate of 60 per cent. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Athlete collapses, dies in Machak...

His coach blamed his untimely death on the supplements the athletes are given. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Popular radio presenter found dea...

Grace Makosewe was working for Capital FM before moving to Urban Radio in Kisumu. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...