Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MH370 families want more evidence on plane debris

12 August 2015, 10:27

Kuala Lumpur - An MH370 families organisation said on Wednesday it would not accept the Malaysian government's declaration that the wreckage found on an island in the Indian Ocean came from the ill-fated flight until more "conclusive" analysis is completed.

Voice 370, an international next-of-kin support group, also reiterated its suspicion over the Malaysian government's handling of the jet's disappearance last year, and called for any potential MH370 debris to be analysed by impartial authorities.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said last Thursday that a wing part which washed up on the French island of Reunion had been confirmed by experts in France to be the first physical evidence that the Malaysia Airlines jet had met a disastrous end in the Indian Ocean.

"However, after one week, other experts have not concurred with the Malaysia declaration," Voice 370 said in a statement.

"Needless to say, most families have refused to accept the Malaysian verdict, and are awaiting a more definite and conclusive analysis," it added.


The Boeing 777 vanished on March 8 last year with 239 passengers and crew, triggering one of aviation's greatest mysteries and history's biggest search operation, now focused on the southern Indian Ocean.

After the jet's disappearance, Malaysia's government and the state flag carrier came under intense fire from next-of-kin who accused both of fumbling their response to the disaster, being slow to release information, and a series of confusing or contradictory statements.

The Voice 370 statement said families "are apprehensive about the handling of the whole incident from day one by the Malaysian authorities.

"This led to families having doubts about their expertise, capabilities and intentions."

French authorities have not gone as far as Najib in confirming that the wing piece came from the plane, saying only that there was a "very highly probability".

"We the families of those on board MH370 would like to appeal that all debris be analysed at a reputable place with the appropriate expertise and equipment" including possibly the French government or authorities from other "advanced nations", Voice 370 said.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto not affected by Peter Ken...

The DP is not affected by the move to join the Jubilee Party by Peter Kenneth. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
2017 countdown: Lots to ponder fo...

The battle for votes ahead of the 2017 elections has taken a mini stage in Kisii during a by-election that is set to show where exactly rivals CORD and Jubilee have peaked. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Close up your party, Jubilee MP t...

Close your party and join Jubilee fully, an MP has urged Peter Kenneth. Read more...